forty-eight

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧
( 𝘒𝘐𝘓𝘓. )

THE STARS WERE VEILED. The woods were silent. Murphy focused on the shaky breaths that left her lips in hopes to quiet her beating heart. She, Maggie, and Carol had planted themselves on the outskirts of the compound, hidden by the brush. They stood and waited in sickening anticipation for a deliverance that may never come. Murphy fumbled with the binoculars in her hands-- the same that allowed her to see Daryl slit a guard's throat in front of the compound. She shut her eyes at the thought. The three women stood in silence after everyone slipped inside the building. They waited for their people to walk out, unharmed.

Murphy leaned against the hood of the truck with a hand on the gun at her side and looked down at the ground. She ran the tip of her boot through the dirt at her feet. The three hadn't spoken since they parked the car. She was so worried. She worried for what was going on in the building, and what was to come after. She couldn't shake this feeling of horror; a feeling that rattled her bones and made her heart clench. Murphy didn't know if she was too weak or too strong for it. Either way, she wanted it to end... as soon as possible.

In the midst of the silence, a terrifying sound suddenly broke through the inert air. It was an alarm from the compound. Maggie and Carol stumbled in their spots at the shock. Murphy's head shot up as soon as it reached her ears. She pushed herself off of the hood and her hand flew to pull her gun out of its holster. Each stroke of the siren made her shoulders lurch higher. Carol ran forward toward the fence.

"They're in trouble! Stay here, Maggie," she called, raising her rifle.

"I'm going with you," Maggie quickly fired back.

"No!" Murphy exclaimed, grabbing her arm with wide eyes. "Are you out of your mind?"

"I have to!" Maggie cried. She pulled her arm out of Murphy's grasp and rushed past Carol.

Carol's hand shot out to grab her jacket, "Damn it, Maggie! You don't have to."

"Yes, I do!"

"What the hell are you doing here?" Carol asked, her cold voice in stark contrast to the anguished words before.

Murphy breathed heavily as her gaze flicked to Carol's shaking figure.

Maggie was silent before replying, "What am I supposed to do?"

"You're supposed to be someone else!" Carol yelled, her voice breaking in pain.

Murphy noticed the tears that built along Carol's lids, the way her lips trembled in distress. The alarm continued blaring throughout the forest. Not only were their people at risk inside, any walker within miles would be attracted to the racket. Murphy's sweaty hands nervously worked the gun in her hands. This plan was falling apart. She didn't want to go in the compound, but she couldn't leave her people to die.

"They need our help," Maggie finalized.

From the darkness behind her, a ravenous walker broke through the shadows. Murphy rushed forward and grabbed its ratty shirt before it could reach Maggie. She pulled her knife out and drove it into the monster's temple, silencing its growls. Its limp body tumbled to the ground before her feet. She looked back at the two, wiping away a strand of damp hair before her eyes. Maggie looked at her and lowered her own knife to her side. Carol grabbed hold of her jacket once more and spoke with a low, intense voice.

"You are staying here."

The three stood and waited for what was to come. They looked at each other to see who would act next. Murphy's eyes traced Carol's still features when her eyes suddenly widened. Murphy's head swiveled immediately to see what she had noticed. Leaves rustled in the forest beside them. Murphy immediately raised her gun. Time seemed to slow as a man stepped out of the woods. He pulled his gun out and aimed it at Maggie, who was closest. Murphy's breathing was ragged and her finger tightened around the trigger... when a gunshot pierced her ears. Carol had shot him in the arm. The man fell to the ground in a heap of tears and blood as he clenched his hand around the wound.