eleven

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡
( 𝘊𝘖𝘕𝘝𝘌𝘙𝘚𝘈𝘛𝘐𝘖𝘕𝘚. )

MURPHY WALKED between Daryl and Carol silently

MURPHY WALKED between Daryl and Carol silently. They had returned from fetching six jugs of fresh water for the group, one in each of their hands. She felt that she was, in a way, intruding on the pair. It was obvious that the two of them had a deep bond, and she knew that they were probably dying to talk to each other after being split up. She didn't know what had happened to the group before Terminus, but she knew it wasn't good.

Murphy sped her walk slightly as they walked down the empty road. They trio had been silent for most of the trip save for a few words here and there. She didn't want to prod or start a conversation when there wasn't one to be had. She knew what it was like to be pressured to open up...  and to pretend or hide from your true self. She wouldn't wish the feeling upon anyone, so she didn't ask. It was better to be safe when dealing with strangers. As she walked ahead, she could hear the two begin to speak to each other behind her.

"Hey, I get it," she heard Daryl speak gruffly to Carol. "You don't wanna talk about it. You okay?"

"Gotta be," Carol responded shortly.

Murphy looked at the leaf covered ground below her feet, trying to focus on the crunch that sounded with every step. Inevitably, she was stuck listening in on the conversation behind her.

"We get to start over. All of us, with each other. You saved us all by yourself," Daryl pointed out.

"We got lucky," Carol responded. "We all should be dead."

As Carol finished her speaking, Murphy looked ahead to find a car on the side of the road in the distance. She looked over her shoulder to find the duo staring at her. She gestured with the jug in her hand towards the vehicle.

"There's a car up ahead. I'm gonna check it out," she spoke, and the Daryl and Carol nodded, following her lead.

As she reached the car, Murphy set the two jugs she had been carrying on the ground near the trunk. She placed her bag beside it, and tightened the flannel wrapped around her waist that had become loose. She reached the door of the car, and Daryl and Carol watched as she climbed inside, leaving the door open. As she adjusted herself in the seat, she found that the keys were already in the ignition.

Willing to give it a try, Murphy turned the key to start the engine, only to be met with the low sputtering of the car's dead battery. With that, she set her head on the back of the seat, closing her eyes in disappointment. It was only a moment before she pulled the keys out of the ignition, climbed out of the driver's seat, and closed the door behind her.

As she walked towards the trunk of the car, Daryl and Carol came to a stop behind her. Murphy squatted next to her bag, pulling out the small car battery charger. She stood up and turned towards the trunk, unlocking it with the keys in her hand. As she opened the trunk of the sedan, she set the device inside the trunk, beginning to hook what she needed together.