one

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗢𝗡𝗘
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘔𝘌𝘌𝘛𝘐𝘕𝘎. )

MURPHY ADAMS had everything that she wanted

MURPHY ADAMS had everything that she wanted. She had a home, a family, a well-paying job, and a loving partner. What more could she ask for?

Murphy had grown up in Richmond, Virginia, until she graduated from high school. She had graduated as valedictorian, and went on to be accepted into her dream school... Duke University School of Medicine in North Carolina. Leaving her small country home behind, she lived her dream, keeping to herself and studying hard. After all, education was a great strength in an uneducated family.

Murphy graduated from Duke with her doctorate, and it was no trouble for her to find a job shortly after. She was content, even though being a trauma surgeon was not an easy job. It took a heavy toll as there were some people who couldn't be saved, but it was the most rewarding when they could. Murphy loved helping people, and she always had.

With as much as she accomplished, Murphy's parents were still not content with their daughter's life. She was nearing the age of thirty, and she still had not married a well off man. As much as she reasoned with her mother and father, insisting that she was happy, they would not accept it. Feeling their unrelenting pressure, Murphy's life changed when she met Connor Marlot.

Connor was a brain surgeon, and he and Murphy had met at a New York medical convention. He was attractive and smart, and after a year of dating Connor proposed. Of course, Murphy accepted... and her parents were thrilled. Murphy had everything that she wanted... at least, that was what she thought. Once the apocalypse hit, everything changed. She was alone now.

After being alone for months a few weeks after the virus hit, Murphy had joined a group of families and they lived together for about a year. But once a herd went through and left her as the only survivor, she was by herself once again. That was the way it had been for the last six months. She had been wandering through these little towns with nothing on her mind except the past and surviving.

Murphy was passing through a small town, her knife in her hand in case any walkers decided to pay a visit. Her boots crunched in the leaves below her feet, and the smell of rain entered her nose, giving her a strange sense of peace. As her head turned left to right, searching for walkers or people, her eyes caught sight of a gas station sign way in the distance. Her heart began to beat and she quickened her pace. Gas stations contained items worth gold in a time like this.

Once she reached the front doors, she crouched next to the handles, and raised hands to the lock, observing it. She took out the piece of a clothes hanger from her bag that she snagged from a house way back when, and began picking at the lock. As she began to turn the tumblers, the familiar growling sound reached her ears from behind her. She turned and saw two walkers heading her way. She placed her bag on the ground beside her and walked towards them slowly.