four

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥
( 𝘚𝘐𝘎𝘕𝘚. )

THEY HAD BEEN walking for about three hours. Murphy and Glenn were in the front, and Murphy's eyes were focused on the railroad they were following. The group had been silent for a while when Eugene began to talk to Tara. His incessant speaking used to drive Murphy crazy, but she got used to it. Tara hadn't though, so Murphy felt for her.

"I'm well aware it sounds bananas. But looking at the fossil record, knowing what I know about this infection, you cannot say for certain it isn't what killed off the dinosaurs," Eugene said. "Now do I believe that's what happened? No. But it's enjoyable as hell to think about an undead Ankylosaur going after a Diplodocus. That there is a video game worth a preorder."

Murphy's brows furrowed in confusion, and she stole a glance at Tara over her shoulder. Tara's face proved to be utterly uncomfortable, and Murphy gave her a grin. It slowly became dark, and the group decided to make camp, much to Glenn's dismay. Tara agreed to stand watch for the night. Murphy slept as soundly as she could, and before she knew it, Rosita was shaking her awake. They were on the road again, following the tracks.

"Been rubbing me wrong, is all. I'm an even-Steven type gentleman. You help me find the supplies, we'll share the battery and whatever juice we scare up, minimal as it may be. Deal?" Eugene asked Tara.

"Eugene, shut the hell up," Murphy said, giving him a smile. "Thanks."

They walked for a few more minutes before a sign caught Murphy's eye. Her eyes widened at what she saw, and she patted Glenn's shoulder in excitement, "Glenn, look."

They walked closer and read it more carefully. It was a map. Something that looked like blood read, "GLENN GO TO TERMINUS. MAGGIE, SASHA, BOB."

A smile broke out on Glenn's face, and he broke out into a sprint down the tracks. Murphy couldn't help the grin that graced her lips as she saw the hope that Glenn had to find Maggie. They sped after him, hoping that this was the right decision to make. After another few hours following Glenn, a large bell tower came into their view.

"Hold up!" Abraham yelled. Glenn turned around, waiting for an explanation. "We're stopping here. Tired is slow, slow is dead."

"It's barely noon!" Glenn exclaimed.

"I don't give a monkey's left nut!" Abraham answered. "None of us has slept more than a couple hours straight since we went all Casey Jones. This place looks safe. We need to rest. I get it. You have to find her. Well Rosita, Murphy, and me, we got a mission, too. It's keeping that man alive, getting him to Washington, and saving the whole damn world. So we're going in that tower, and we're going now."

Murphy was about to protest when the snarling of a walker broke her train of thought. She heard it from above, and saw a walker in the bell tower about to fall off the edge, "Hey, hey! Watch out!"

In the chaos that ensued for a moment, Tara was shoved over and fell on the ground. She grabbed her ankle in pain as the walker fell from the tower, smashing into the ground.

"Are you okay?" Murphy asked, crouching next to Tara.

"I'm fine," she grimaced.

Rosita walked forward, "We gotta stay here, who's gonna help me carry her up?"

Glenn came to help her up, "You okay? You wanna stop, or you wanna keep going?"

"Keep going," she responded quicky. "I'm good."

Glenn looked up, "Look, if she can keep going, we can all keep going. Or you guys can stay here. You don't need us, we don't need you. It's okay."

Rosita scoffed, "Wow, you're an ass.  She will do whatever you say because she thinks she owes you. Man up. Stay here for a few hours."