twenty-nine

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘
( 𝘞𝘐𝘓𝘋𝘍𝘓𝘖𝘞𝘌𝘙. )

THE SUN WAS UP

THE SUN WAS UP. The chattering of folks outside and the twittering of birds remained unnoticed by the couple fast asleep. Daryl's arm was slung over Murphy's waist, his chest pressed against her back. His head was buried into the nape of her neck, and her short waves tickled his nose. As her eyes fluttered open, Murphy felt his soft snores against her shoulder. She lifted her hand to overtake his around her torso, intertwining their fingers. Daryl shifted behind her while pulling her closer than before. A smile graced her lips.

"What time is it?" Daryl whispered, his voice gravelly and still laced with sleep. His eyes remained shut. It was as if he was afraid that when he opened them, he'd realize that this was all a dream. That the night they had spent together was too good to be true.

Murphy leaned over slightly to catch a glimpse at the clock on the nightstand beside her. Daryl's hand slipped from her bare back and his eyes finally cracked open. She was still there, and she fell against the pillows after reading the time, "It's eight."

"Shit," Daryl mumbled under his breath. "I gotta get up."

He rolled onto his back, one hand rubbing his eye while the other lay outstretched for Murphy. She scooted closer, resting her head upon his chest. His arm wrapped around her shoulders and fell in the crook of her neck. He pressed his cheek against the top of her head, letting his eyes close once more. Murphy released a sigh of contentment, a smile upon her face that wouldn't seem to fall. She looked up at him, her green eyes locking with his blue ones.

"Are you going out with Aaron?"

"Yeah. W'leave at nine."

"Still got an hour, then."

Daryl smiled at the woman beside him. He brought his free hand to rest against her cheek, his fingers gently brushing against her freckled skin, "This's a dream. It's gotta be."

Murphy furrowed her brows, sitting up on one elbow. The sheets were bunched around their waists. Daryl's arm fell from her shoulder and splayed across her back. He rubbed circles against her soft skin as she asked, "What do you mean?"

Daryl's eyes flicked across her face, noting that every part of her was beautiful. Every part. He whispered, "I don' deserve you."

Murphy leaned close to him, bringing a hand up to his stubbled cheek, "We deserve each other. Nothing less."

She pressed her lips to the corner of his mouth. Daryl's hands came to rest on her upper back from under her arms as she leaned over to pepper light kisses across his cheek. He released a soft breath before rolling her onto her back. He rested between her legs and kissed her softly. His hair fell before his eyes and tickled Murphy's cheeks. She pushed the strands behind his ears, taking the time to run her fingers through it, while she kept her eyes closed. Slowly, her arms came to rest on his lower back as their lips moved against each other. Daryl pulled away for a short moment before he leaned close once more.