thirteen

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘉𝘖𝘠 & 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘉𝘙𝘐𝘋𝘎𝘌. )

AT SOME POINT DURING THE NIGHT, Murphy was finally able to nod off

AT SOME POINT DURING THE NIGHT, Murphy was finally able to nod off. Daryl had slept soundly until morning, confused when he awoke and found a blanket tossed over him. He sat up on the couch, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and taking a look at Murphy's sleeping figure. They had a bit of time to spare, so he decided to let her have a little more rest before they started their day. God knows she needed it.

It only took her another half an hour before the sun streaming in the windows woke her. She sat up and stretched her arms towards the ceiling. Looking around the room, she found Daryl sitting by the window, looking out at the destroyed city that sprawled outside her apartment... the charred remains of buildings, cars, and streets as far as the eye could see.

"Morning," Murphy muttered, her voice laced with sleep.

Daryl didn't respond, shifting in his spot. Murphy stood up and walked over to where he sat, stopping beside him to see what he was looking at. She had never seen the destruction of the city in daylight, not since the bombings. She sighed, her eyes tracing the remains of what used to be her home.

"We got out... before the bombings," she spoke. "We were lucky."

"Yeah?" Daryl asked.

"Mhm," she mumbled. "I just don't know how we came to this."

There was silence.

"We just did," he responded solemnly.

Murphy looked at him out of the corner of her eye. His face was expressionless, almost as if he was trying to pretend he didn't care. She knew better than that to be true. Before she could say something, Daryl leaned closer to the window spotting something in the distance. He cupped his hand on the glass and peered through, eliminating the glare.

"You see something?"

"I don' know," he answered. "Hand me that rifle."

Murphy grabbed the rifle he had leaned against the table behind them, and handed it to him to look through the scope. He brought it up to his eye level, and he observed what he spotted. He brought the rifle down and handed it to Murphy, keeping what he saw in his sight.

He placed his finger on the glass, pointing to where she should look, "Righ' there."

Murphy looked through the scope, and focused on what he was pointing at. It was a white van hanging off the side of an overpass in the distance. On the rear windows... were two white crosses, just like the car that Daryl saw take Beth and the car they followed into Atlanta.