Chapter 24: New Life

-Melissa's POV-

I'm still hugging my knees, my head down low and crying. I'm rocking myself back and forth, trying to capture warm even though the room is not that cold. James tapped my shoulder. I looked at him with my puffy eyes. He was shirtless and only wear a pair of jeans that he wears during the vacation trip. He handed me a mug of hot chocolate.

"Hey... Drink this. It makes you feel better, I promise you." He adviced. I gladly took the mug from him. I wiped away my tears and took a sip. Oh my God. It's so good. I continued to drink it more. James just smiled as he just accomplished his promise.

I put the mug on the coffee table and just stared at the small TV screen which is not even turn on. Right now, I'm at James' apartment two hours after the massive fight I shared with Chris. That is why he's still in the jeans.

I heard him heaving a sigh. He brings himself closer to me. I could sense him giving me a very concern look. He slowly took my hand and hold it near his thighs. He took a deep breath and asked me the question that he had been wanting to ask me since he picked me up.

"What happened?" He managed to voice out. I try my best not to cry. I turned my attention to him. His eyes softened, too innocent that it's easy to tell him the truth. It took me a few seconds to respond.

"Chris... He, he.." I sobbed. My eyes started to water again. I blinked and the tears started to flow. James bring me closer to him in a split second. I put my arms around his waist, hugging him tight. I cried at the crook of his neck. I could feel him rubbing my back and make a 'shush' sound.

"Come on, Mel. This is not you. You are stronger than this. Now, tell me... From the start to the end." He pleaded, still rubbing my back. I continued to cry around his neck, making my tears dripping down his upper body.

"He slept with Megan's sister when we're away." I managed to speak out despite the hoarse voice after all that crying. I didn't even bother to let go of my embrace that I'm sharing with him right now.

James didn't say anything. I could hear his jaw clenching. His hands were balled up to fists. His body temperature also starts to feel much more warmer. I heard him growled, breaking the embrace. His eyes was scary when he gave me a deadly glare which I knew that he referred the glare to Chris. I gave him time to calm down.

"How dare he. I know that he's a fucking millionaire, billionaire or whatever fucking -naire he is. At least give a simple respect to his own wife, God dammit. Stupid bastard!" He blurted out, making me jump a little. His face turned red with rage. He rested his head on the couch. I looked down, thinking about how my future is gonna be. All of the sudden, James put his hands on my shoulders.

"It's okay, Melissa. If he's not gonna take care of you, then I will." He said, making me feel better a little. I started to feel two emotions which mixed together - excitement and anxiety. God, why am I feeling this way? My heart started to pump against my chest wildly. I took a deep breath and breathe it all out.

"I, I don't know what to say..." I trailed off but was cut short after James pressed his index finger against my lips. I shamelessly gave him a small smile. He smiled back and without warning, he kissed my forehead lightly.

"Don't worry. I will take care of you, just the way I used to care about you for the past two years." He said, full of confidence. Wait, does he know that I'm pregnant again? He keep on saying as of he could take care of just me... I mentally told myself that I really should tell him.

"Erm, can I tell you something?" I politely asked.

"What is it? Just tell me." Here we go. You can do it, Melissa.