11

A lot happened in a few days. Isobel showed up on the front door of the Gilbert residence. Apparently, she was Elena's biological mother and Alaric's supposed 'dead' wife. On top of Jenna's surprise, Elena knew about Isobel along with Alaric.

It was obviously a betrayal to Jenna to lie to her. That's why Jenny was over at the Gilbert residence all night with Jenna, comforting her.

"You don't have any dark secrets, do you?" Jenna asked.

"You know I could never keep anything from you," Jenny stated with a smile causing Jenna to smile too. "That and I'm a terrible liar."

Jenna snorted, "Yeah. You got us both grounded so many times when we snuck out because of your 'I can't lie to save my life'."

"I can't help it," Jenny said. "You know I punched Logan Fell in the face for you, do you want me to punch Alaric?"

"No, I got it," Jenna said before she started to laugh. "You know he had a bruise on his face for a whole month."

______

Then Jenna decided in the morning she was going to Whitmore College for a few days. Alaric and Elena had been waiting for Jenna at the bottom of the stairs of the Gilbert residence.

But Jenna didn't let them talk. She knew she'd just hear more lies. And Jenna left but before Jenny walked next door to her house, Elena questioned her.

"Jenny, will she come around?"

"She's your Aunt, Elena. Of course she will," Jenny spoke before diverting her eyes to Alaric. "Can't say the same for you."

And Alaric ducked his head in guilt before she left.

_______

The next couple of days had been very quiet for her. She went to the high school, lectured, went home, spoke to Jenna on the phone, and eventually she went to bed before starting the same over again.

But today was weird. It was the day of the 60's Decade Dance and Alaric was acting odd. He kept staring at her in the teacher's lounge when they all had their break. But Jenny wasn't one to be shy so she confronted him.

"Hey, I know you and Jenna are on the outs but staring at me like I'll somehow spill my secrets isn't going to work," Jenny addressed Alaric.

"Right, Jenna," Alaric looked confused for a moment. "I'm sorry, Jenny. That was rude of me."

Jenny crossed her arms and stared at him in concern before she started to walk away. But Alaric spoke again, "Have a nice day, Jenny."

She looked back to find him smiling oddly. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion at his behavior but she walked away.

_______

Later that evening, she stood among students in the gymnasium which was decorated in a 60's theme. She was a chaperone and she stood against the wall. She smiled at all the students enjoying their youth.

"What are you doing here?" she was startled at the voice and found Damon.

"What do you mean? I'm a chaperone. What are you doing here?"

"Same thing."

"You? A chaperone?" she said before she giggled.

"What? I can be a good influence," he argued.

"Damon, you're version of good influence would be giving alcohol to underaged kids," Jenny explained.

"So?" he shrugged. "They'd find it anyways."