24

Jenny and Elijah were both damned, maybe all the way from the start, but it didn't stop their two hearts from making love in the dark. Bliss burned sweet and the caresses on her bare skin burned evermore.

The words of I love you were stained onto her lips as she laid bare beneath the sheets in the morning. He was still sleeping and he looked so peaceful as she combed her fingers through his hair gently before laying a soft kiss above his brow.

She left the warmth of being tangled up in his embrace to take a shower but a little smile formed on her face that showed a brightness that couldn't be diminished.

______

Elijah couldn't stop staring at her now that he joined her in the kitchen. There was a bright look in his eyes as he gazed at her.

"What?" she questioned, smiling brightly, as she made a bagel.

"You're smiling."

"Yes, I do that. It's apparently what I'm known for."

"I missed that..." Elijah responded, a little smile of his own forming that he got her to smile again after two weeks. "...you being happy. That's all I ever want for you."

Her heart skipped a beat before she responded quietly, "I only want that for you, too, you know."

"Well, you don't need to worry about that," Elijah smiled a bit brighter. "I'm happy as long as I have you, Jenny."

_____

They planned to leave Paris and before they did, Jenny got a postcard. She was sending it to Damon and it took her awhile to decide what to say to him in a way that would convey her feelings to everyone. In the end it was sent out with the words:

      I know and I forgive you.
        -Love Always, Jenny

She couldn't really stay mad at everyone when she wasn't mad at Elijah. That and Damon was her only friend; even though she didn't know his true nature, she didn't have to, to know him completely. And perhaps she couldn't quite let go of Damon because he had been there at times when Elijah wasn't, at times when she really needed someone, and that meant something to her.

And if somehow things didn't work out with Elijah, she knew she'd always have a shoulder to cry on in Damon. Love always, indeed.

______

        Jenny and Elijah traveled to Italy and this time they stayed in a house his family owned. There were people compelled to take care of the house but there were still so many white sheets covering everything that had to be taken off and put away.

While they were in Italy, they visited many places with historical significance. Apparently, Elijah felt the need to give her an historical monologue at each one.

            They were standing in the middle of the ruins of an ancient town that wasn't as populated by tourists like the Colosseum. Elijah was talking and she leaned up kissing him on the cheek, making him pause.

              "You know, I don't need a history lecture each time we visit somewhere," she said.

            Elijah hummed as he tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear, "And I thought I got you to like history."

            She chuckled, "Elijah, your diary was like a horror story. Horror is my favorite genre. History on the other hand is just...boring...unless it's about you."