02

Love is like a flair that shoots through the heart with a bright burst, painting it in colors, before it burns out, leaving it dark. And darkness is just as blinding as a flair.

No one can see what lies in darkness and the broken hearted were swathed in it. Not knowing where to step, what to do, how to move on. It was just...emptiness. Somehow they had to find their way through.

_____

Elena Gilbert had turned the switch on her humanity once Jeremy died. Everyone was currently plotting ways to get it back on but she didn't want to feel and she didn't plan on it.

That's why she teamed up with Rebekah to get the cure. They had found Katherine in a small town who was meeting em. Elena took the older doppelgänger's place in meeting whoever em was.

          She was in a small gazebo when she heard a voice address the girl she was pretending to be, "Katerina."

          Elena turned around to find Elijah leaning against the column of the gazebo. Her eyes widened in surprise for a moment before she tried to recover quickly, "Elijah. You're a little late, aren't you?"

             Why is he here? Where is Jenny? Elena wondered. Her heart rate had quickened and Elijah hadn't moved, only tilting his head as he still analyzed her. She thought his eyes looked cold, detached...sad.

            "You colored your hair," he commented.

            "Thank you. It's actually..."

              "So do you have it with you? he interrupted.

              "Do I have what?"

               "The cure," his gaze analyzed her again as he took a step forward which caused her to fidget a bit backwards. "But of course why would you?"

            "Where is Katherine, Elena?" he stated. Elijah had noticed the surprise in her eyes and that was something he could overlook but she still hadn't taken one step towards him to try to flirt. It was only one time between them and no more of which he made clear but the doppelgänger still loved to try. And her demeanor was too bright he supposed. Carefree. Katherine had certain alertness to her probably from always being on the lookout for his brother.

             _____

          Rebekah was in the diner with Katherine. Stefan and Damon arrived wanting to find Elena.

       "What about you over there, smiley?" Damon asked Katherine as she wore her famous smirk. "Do you know where she is?"

        "She went to meet up with a friend of mine. You may know him-an Original brother, impeccable taste."

         "Elijah," Rebekah was horrified.

         "Elijah's here?" Damon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

          "Well, you sort of have to question Elijah's impeccable taste if he's friends with you," Stefan said.

          "Oh, when I say friend, I mean friend," Katherine emphasized, hinting at a sexual relationship.

           "No, no. Elijah is with Jenny," Damon glared at Katherine.

            "Maybe he got bored," Katherine goaded. "Or maybe she's poor, sad, dead Jenny now."

             Rebekah and Stefan watched Damon carefully as his jaw ticked. His eyes started to look a bit glossy as he remembered her postcard: I know and I forgive you.