06

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

         When morning came, no one noticed that Jenny and Elijah came from separate rooms. They all gathered in the dining room where Niklaus was in wonderful spirits and having a celebration of sorts.

Jenny sat across from Elijah at the table. It was something as simple as that and yet she never felt more far away; the possibility of them never felt more far away.

Elijah gave her a look before he turned his attention to Niklaus. He was not amused with the celebratory mood.

"Is something the matter, brother? Can I fix you a drink, perhaps?" Klaus smirked as he sipped on the mimosa.

Elijah rolled his eyes, "Strangely enough, Klaus, I'm not in a mimosa mood."

Jenny felt guilty when she reached for a blueberry muffin and partook in these 'celebrations'. But it looked mouth-watering and once she nibbled on it, she felt like it was Heaven.

"Fantastic! More for me," Klaus said.

Rebekah entered the room, looking tired, "Can we stop talking so loudly?"

Jenny pushed a cup of coffee towards her chair, "I figured you'd need it."

Rebekah walked quickly over to the cup to take a sip, "You are just lovely, Jenny."

Klaus smirked, "What's the matter? New witch body not up to last night's bender?"

Rebekah rolled her eyes as she sat down, "So? I had a few. It's not every day you lose your father at the hands of your brother. Again."

"Whoever said opportunity only knocks once, eh?" Klaus chuckled but Elijah and Rebekah only stare at him blankly which made Klaus scoff. "Oh, come on! We all fled Mikael's tyranny together for centuries. I would have thought the mood this morning might be a bit more jubilant."

"Under normal circumstances, the annihilation of our father would be rather commendable, Niklaus. Unfortunately, we have a greater threat to contend with," Elijah said. "Now let's discuss strategy, shall we, Niklaus? Just wondering if you actually have one. We can begin with Mikael's ashes. Given that they are the main ingredient in our weapon against Dahlia, would you care to tell me where they disappeared to?"

Jenny peered at Niklaus as she leaned back in her seat. There was never a moment without their family drama.

Klaus set his drink down in annoyance and put on a fake smile, "Elijah! I have compelled the city's finest pastry chef for your own personal edification, and yet, you ignore my efforts in favor of needless concerns."

"Well, actually, your efforts are commended because...this is really good," she gestured to all the food on the table. "Also, if this is the mood you're in after killing your father, I'm pretty sure he should be revived so you can do it again."

Klaus chuckled (and the rest of them looking amused) before looking at his brother, "I'm trading you for her. Your beloved is far more delightful than you are."

"Jenny is far more delightful than anyone, Niklaus," Elijah confessed so smoothly without even looking at her; like it was just a fact of life before going right into the next subject. "But still we have the threat of Dahlia which you call a needless concern."