08

ASHES TO ASHES

        Pain.

          When the blade of Papa Tunde was removed from his chest by Camille, somehow, this hurt much worse than any blade. As soon as the blade was removed, he vamp sped over to her lifeless body.

           He cradled Jenny gently in his arms as he began to cry. There was no sound of a heartbeat and there was nothing he could do; he could only hold her body as her blood soaked his clothes.

             "Jenny," his lips trembled as his fingers caressed her cheeks. "Forgive me."

            He couldn't save her. Again. It was the worst sin imaginable and he couldn't handle it. To lose her after already having lost her; he couldn't do it again.

            "Elijah, Klaus had a plan," Camille tried to reason but he wasn't paying attention; only staring down at his dead beloved. "Elijah! I'm sorry about Jenny but we have to focus on Dahlia..."

              "Jenny is gone! My rageful brother has killed her and I am supposed to follow his plan. No," Elijah clenched his jaw. "If my brother wishes to defeat Dahlia, he can do it himself."

              "Elijah..." Camille said in shock as Elijah went back to staring at Jenny again.

               "She's gone," Elijah started to sob as he stared at the wound on her neck; her slit throat.

               What was he without his dear Jenny? He couldn't live in a world again without her smile or a world where he couldn't love her. Loving her was all he was anymore.

               No matter what Camille did, Elijah wouldn't respond. He just kept holding Jenny as tears fell down his cheeks like if he held her long enough, she wouldn't be dead.

             Camille sat down on the edge of the fountain and stared sadly as she waited.

              _____

             Rebekah and Marcel came down from upstairs. Rebekah was in her original body after having to kill her witch one.

             "Oh, thank god," Camille said in relief. "He hasn't moved in twenty minutes."

              Rebekah furrowed her eyebrows until she rounded the fountain and she stopped. She put a hand over her mouth in shock before lowering it, "Nik didn't."

             Rebekah stepped closer before crouching down as she stared at Elijah sadly with some tears of her own that fell for Jenny, "My big brother, I know that this hurts. But this family needs you. I need you. You have to let her go."

                Elijah held Jenny, her dead body, tightly like he'd never let go. He started to shake his head, "I can't..."

"I promised I wouldn't let anything take her away," Elijah cried. "Rebekah, I failed her."

"You know Jenny would never think that of you," Rebekah advised. "And you know what she would want you to do now."

Elijah started to slowly loosen his grip as he gently placed her body on the ground. He had to look away from her pale face that wouldn't move again.

But Rebekah saw what he couldn't. The wound on her neck was healing. "Elijah..."

Elijah slowly looked to see the wound close and repair itself. Everything became intact.