01

MONTH TWO

       Jenny got a daylight ring.

       She started to jog in the mornings as she enjoyed the sun rising. Not many people were out and without prying eyes, she rather enjoyed using her vampire speed.

         At the end of her run, she'd blitz through an alley and then end up on a rooftop. Then she'd sit on the edge and watch as the sun rose.

          It was beautiful and she started to smile, really smile. The kind of smile that only came from feeling awe. Then the city would start to come to life with people milling about and she could hear what they were saying; she could hear all the little dramas and it was beautiful that she could hear so much like the whole world existed in this small moment.

          Then her phone rang and she gained a toothed smile, "Isn't this early for you?"

            "Well, I had to come see someone that likes rooftops."

                 She furrowed her eyebrows before looking down into the crowd of people. She found her blue-eyed best friend.

                 "Damon!" she screeched happily before she was suddenly off the building with vamp speed and hugging him tightly.

                    "You are not conspicuous at all, Jen," he said as he hugged her tightly.

              "Please, no one even saw me," Jenny pulled away before giving him a triumphant smile. "I'm that fast."

               "Did someone gain an ego after becoming a vampire?" Damon teased.

               She crossed her arms, "No."

              "Uh huh," he hummed in disbelief as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Come on, let's go find some place to drink."

               "It's literally morning, Damon," she lectured.

                "So?"

                Jenny chuckled but nevertheless led the way, "You never change, do you?"

                 "Never, Jen."

               She brought Damon to a bar where they got drinks. Damon had an arm loosely wrapped around her shoulders as he asked, "You seriously broke up with Elijah?"

            "You know why," she gave him a pointed look before she looked down nervously. "And let's not talk about him."

          "Fine," Damon rolled his eyes before he frowned. "But you jog now, though. It's so...exhausting."

              She chuckled as she elbowed him, "I like it."

              "Of course you do," Damon shook his head before he smirked. "But don't worry, I'll make sure you actual fun this weekend..."

She gave him a suspicious look but she and Damon did have a blast filled with partying for a couple of days. She even brought Gia one day and the two women ended up dancing on the bar at one point. Jenny felt quite free and those days were the sign of something returning: her smile.

_____

A week passed.

Damon went back to Mystic Falls. Jenny returned to her routine of visiting Davina to try getting a handle on her abilities. She would try to enter the dark place of the dead where she used to spend her time as a ghost but as soon as she felt that suffocating darkness, she couldn't do it. She stopped and said that it wasn't working.

Instead, she distracted herself by talking with Davina. The witch was merely a young girl and yet she spend all her time in a cemetery; it was depressing.

"You need to get out of this place at some point," Jenny counseled. "What do you do for fun? Shopping?"

"Shopping?" Davina thought about it; she'd never actually gone out and tried on outfits. "I...don't think I've ever done it before."

"Well, it is a perfect day to try," Jenny encouraged. "You could even pick out what you want to wear for when you see Kol again."

"Why would I do that...when I'm not even sure when I'll get him back," Davina frowned.

"Because, Davina, without dreams or hopes we'll forget what we're even fighting for," Jenny lectured. "Tell me you haven't pictured seeing Kol again in your head? What does it look like?"

"I...watched the Pretty in Pink movie you recommend and now I see myself wearing pink when I see him again," Davina said bashfully.

       "Well, then, we'll shop for something pink..." Jenny grabbed her hand and pulled the young girl along. Davina had made some protests but then she started to smile as she looked at Jenny in admiration.

          ______

On another day, Jenny sat on a bench in the blazing sun while reading a book, The Heart of Mid-Lothian by Walter Scott. While she was reading someone sat next to her in a expensive suit before he commented, "Revenge, the sweetest morsel to the mouth that ever was cooked in Hell, I believe is the quote from that particular book."

Jenny turned her head to find a well-dressed man with brown hair and crystal blue eyes. He gave her a curious smile, "Do you agree with it?"

She tilted her head as she studied him before she thought for a moment. She shook her head as she thought of Elijah, "No, nothing is as sweet as love. Not even Heaven or Hell could conjure up something sweeter."

He smiled as he stared at her miraculously, "Not only a beautiful woman but a well-worded one. You do surprise me, Jenny Stevens."

She furrowed her eyebrows as she studied him, "It seems you know me but I do not know you."

"I only know what I've been told but I do plan on getting to know you if you would allow me," he said hopefully as he grabbed her hand and laid a chaste kiss on the back of it (that she did not feel) as he introduced himself. "Tristan de Martel."