05

NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES

Love was scarier than most things, she learned. No monsters in the closet or evil, vile creatures could ever compare to the emotions that tore her up inside. Nothing could ever scare her more than what she already lost.

To keep Elijah, to keep herself living, she needed her love to be powerful, braver. She needed to learn how to not be scared anymore (and that included not being scared of letting go).

               It was why she took Josephine up on her offer.

               "Lost souls are the unknown, dear Jenny, because we do not know your limits but wouldn't you like to find out?"

               Jenny did. She wanted more than anything to control to the darkness that crept into her mind (the darkness that slowly crept into her heart).

                It had been two weeks since she removed Eva Sinclair. Jenny had been welcomed into the witch community after accepting a partnership with Josephine (which Elijah wasn't very pleased with but it wasn't his choice); the witches yearned to learn what power she possessed.

               And Jenny was going to find out.

             _____

               Elijah paced the living room from behind the closed doors that contained Josephine and his beloved Jenny. Out of respect for Jenny, he was allowed to be on the premises but he couldn't watch the training they went through. He was forced to wait.

            The room she was in was spelled against his supernatural hearing. He didn't know if she needed help but mostly what bothered him was...he couldn't hear her heartbeat. That sweet sound was gone and he didn't know what to do without it.

              While Elijah paced worriedly, Jenny trained.

               Even though she was only in the next room, she couldn't feel anything. She was numb again.

             "You know, that Original standing out there, asked me if there was anyway to remove the magic wrapped around you yesterday," Josephine shared. "If there was a way for you to be...normal."

              "He...did?" It was news to her. She knew Elijah wanted to help her but he didn't tell her. "Well, is there?"

               She crossed her arms. To be normal. She didn't think she knew what that was like anymore and removing what power she possessed wasn't going to change it.

               "No," Josephine hummed. "No one can change what you are."

              She nodded and changed subjects, "Why don't we start training now?"

              "Would you like to try spirit-jumping today?" Josephine asked as she had asked everyday.

               "No," Jenny denied immediately. She didn't want to go back there yet; to the land of the dead. Apparently, as a lost soul, she could travel between realms but she wasn't ready to travel to any.

                "Well, the spirit magic wrapped around you acts as a barrier to other forms of magic," Josephine said before smirking slightly. "And today I have another form of magic I'd like to try to see if you are immune."