26

Elijah Mikaelson loves Jenny Stevens. Whether that was in her forever or his, it didn't matter; he would love her regardless. After all, he was convinced that she was the love of his life.

        _____

        The couple was in another location and they didn't speak of their inevitable doom again. But even so Elijah looked brighter somehow like he knew some secret that she didn't.

It was early morning one day and Jenny sat outside watching the sun rise as she drank coffee. It was surprising how something that happened every day she never really took notice of until now. She learned she only started taking in the beauty of these mundane things when Elijah entered her life.

While she watched the sun rise, her mind was still in a sleepy haze and she pictured kids running about on the lawn, their kids. It was a nice little fantasy she had before Elijah joined her.

He sat beside her on the bench as the sun rose. They didn't speak but just simply enjoyed the presence of one another. Jenny laid her head on his shoulder and he laid a soft kiss on the top of her head. She just didn't know that Elijah was having the same fantasy too.

Except Elijah knew that it wasn't a fantasy any longer. It could be real with the cure. And he realized that he wanted that but only with her.

She was his Jenny who was like the sun. Only looking at her gave his soul life. He would die for her so of course he would live for her as well.

____

It was Valentine's Day.

They were in London. They had started to stay longer at places. But Elijah would also leave her in these places for extended periods of time but never more than a couple of days; he would never tell her what he was doing or why he had to leave. But he had a little smile on his face when she asked like he knew something that not only would make her happy but that made him happy as well.

So she never quite questioned him and today that was far from her mind. Today she woke up to a love letter on her pillow from Elijah. So all day they just kept writing love letters to each other even though they were in the same room and shared the same space. They mostly just stayed in the library the monstrosity of a house had while stealing glances at one another while they wrote sonnets, poems, letters to each other.

It made her smile so widely but it made him smile so much too. But their love letters ended in the evening because they had plans. Elijah was taking her to this fancy restaurant.

"Is this fancy enough?" she walked out into the foyer where he was waiting by the door.

She gestured to her blue dress but Elijah's breath caught in his throat as he gazed at her. She was the most beautiful thing he ever looked at but he was always thinking that...and often.

He breathed, "I'd say you look positively radiant."

She blushed as she looped her arm around his, looking up at him, "You look like that too."

"Do you have everything?" he asked and she nodded, holding out her clutch.

And they left. It all reminded her of their first date. Everything was perfect then. But it feels even more perfect now. And the night ended with a promise of a lifetime of tomorrows in their kiss, a promise embedded in their hearts.

______

It was only a week later and Elijah was leaving her. He was disappearing on one of his mysterious adventures.