16

Nightmares plagued her. Her mind replayed the night of a monstrous Stefan Salvatore biting into her neck. As he drank her blood, more and more of her fight left her; her life was fading. Then he stopped and she was half-dead but she recalled him giving her just one drop of his blood and something about giving Damon just enough time to save her...if he could.

Jenny gasped and her eyes opened. The nightmare she had was suddenly gone from her memory but she was still breathing deeply and left with lingering fear.

_____

Summer had officially ended.

School was back in session and she was finally going back to work. She was quite nervous as she knew everyone would be watching her. She was already told by the administration not to be too close with students as it would look bad.

Jenny looked at herself in the mirror and she reached up, touching her neck. There was no marks in sight but she could still recall, or feel, the hands that had squeezed the life out of her. As she thought of that night, that snap of a neck echoed in her mind.

She shook her head from her thoughts and let her hand drop to her side. She took a deep breath before leaving. She'd be okay.

_____

When she got to work, there was remnants of Prank Night. There was toilet paper spread all throughout her classroom and she had to clean it up.

But after that, the day went smoothly or at least she thought it did. She didn't notice kids whispering about her and that dreadful night. She was all the school talked about.

In one of her classes was Elena, Stefan (who had returned), and the new student Rebekah. Stefan sat in the back along with Rebekah.

Stefan was allowed to eat anybody in town except Jenny. Rebekah was inspecting the smiling teacher, remembering Nik's warning: don't touch the joyful teacher.

Rebekah whispered to the ripper, "Why is she off limits?"

"Your brother is obsessed with her," Stefan answered as he leaned back in his seat, bored.

"My brother, the dastardly hybrid, likes a teacher?"

"No," Stefan answered simply. "But Elijah does."

Rebekah's eyes widened and she went back to analyzing Jenny. She seemed quite happy and if there was one thing her older brother deserved, it was happiness.

_____

After class, Jenny held Rebekah back and the girl seemed rather annoyed. But Jenny just gave her a smile, "I notice you're new here, to town. If you need any help with class, just ask."

"Well, I don't imagine I'll be here long enough to need any," Rebekah said, sighing, hating that her family could never truly find a home.

"So you move around a lot. That must be tough," Jenny said, giving her a sympathetic smile. "Well, if you need anyone to talk to, I'll be here."

"Thank you," Rebekah genuinely smiled at her before leaving. No one had ever wanted to be there for her. She knew she couldn't talk to Jenny about the supernatural but perhaps about human things. The Original just wanted to get to know the women her brother liked.

_____

        Flashback

Jenny stared at the sheet on the wall in front of her. Her name was on it and she couldn't believe it. She turned to her best friend who wore a grin like the Cheshire Cat.

"Jenna, you didn't!" she exclaimed.

"I did," Jenna answered. "And just like I predicted, you've been chosen to be in the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant."

Jenny groaned, "I'm not going to win."

"Please, everyone loves you," Jenna said smiling as they walked away.

Jenny shook her head at her best friend, "I still can't believe you signed me up."

They turned the corner of the hallway filled with lockers only for Jenny to bump right into someone.

"Oh, sorry," she apologized before looking up, being starstruck.

It was Mason Lockwood. She had the biggest crush. He only smiled at her.

"I was actually looking for you," he said nervously.

"Me?" she questioned in disbelief.

"Everyone is talking about how you're in the running for Miss Mystic," he said.

"She is," Jenna answered for her.

"You need dates — I mean, dance partners for those things," he scratched his head. "Could I..."

Before he even finished asking, Jenny blurted out, "Yes."

"Really?" his eyes widened, not believing he had a chance with a girl like her.

"She said yes so really," Jenna grabbed Jenny's arm and pulled her along. "She'll talk to you later, Lockwood."

"Gosh, he is so in love with you," Jenna commented once they were further away.

"He is?" Jenny questioned obliviously.

"Duh," Jenna facepalmed before she smiled genuinely. "And you're my best friend aka the best person on the planet. Why wouldn't he be in love with you?"

The door to the Other Side was cracked open and ghosts were pouring through. Mason Lockwood was one of them as he chained Damon to a chair and skewered him with a poker.

But he wasn't the only ghost.

Someone unraveled the chains surrounding Damon and he furrowed his eyebrows before someone appeared in front of him.

"Jenna?"

"Hi, Damon."

Damon was bewildered. He was clearly seeing ghosts. But he just didn't know why Jenna Sommers was appearing to him.

"Why am I seeing you?"

"Because Jenny only has you as a friend now," she answered. Jenna had left in peace concerning Elena and Jeremy but her best friend on the other hand, she needed to know she'd be okay.

"I've been protecting Jenny."

"I don't want you to protect her," Jenna crossed her arms. "I want you to try and make sure she ends up happy; she deserves that."

"She smiles all..."

"Yeah," Jenna cut him off. "She smiles all the time to make other people happy; it doesn't always mean that she is."

"She's my best friend. You'll never know her like I do but you're here and I'm not," Jenna smiled sadly.

Damon thought about her death and he felt partly to blame. He answered after a moment, "I'll make sure."

"Don't tell anyone I was here," Jenna said and he nodded.

Jenna didn't say anything else and she felt she could be at peace. She knew Damon, although selfish, would try to make sure and that was all she could ask for.

Jenna Sommers disappeared then; this time, for good.

AN: I know Jenna found peace immediately in the show but I felt like Jenna would've needed reassurance on leaving her best friend so I did this. It's probably pretty boring but whatever.