00

MONTH ONE

        It felt like falling.

          It had been one month without Elijah and it felt like the moment just before one gave a public speech; the jitteriness, the anxiousness that bubbled up that made time move quicker but it never moved quite quick enough. It felt like a pit in her chest that made her wish time away so she could get back...to Elijah.

               It was the end goal, after all. To be with him again was the one thing she most wanted but she had to be ready first.

            She had made progress. She started to feel things again instead of the numbness that enveloped her when Elijah was gone. It was only a inkling of a feeling, though, like a ghost to remind her it was there but it wasn't quite complete and real.

                She started to heal from the wounds that death gave her. She started to heal from the ghost that she became. But she was still afraid of the dark.

                 She started to train again...with the new Regent of New Orleans, Davina Claire. The witches still very much desired to learn about her even if she was a vampire now and the young regent wanted to gain their favor by making her an ally. So she visited the young witch once a week to learn more about herself...and visit the dark place.

              It wasn't something she wanted to do but she had to learn to conquer her fear. Jenny would practice by laying on the floor because it felt a bit like falling.

               She would feel that creeping darkness like shadows looming around her. She would clench her eyes shut tightly as she felt it suffocate her before she let herself fall into it like falling into a cloud. Then she'd disappear.

              She would enter her realm of the dead and be laying on the black glass as she stared into nothing but darkness. It would terrify her and she'd quickly wish herself back into the real world.

                   Jenny would appear again startled and crying. This was the first feeling to return to her without Elijah: fear.

               "What's wrong? What happened?" Davina asked in alarm.

                "I'm okay, I'm okay," Jenny waved off before wiping her tears away even as more took their place on her cheeks. "I shouldn't be crying in front of you."

                  "It's just crying," Davina knelt down and handed her a tissue box. "Everyone does that."

                   Jenny chuckled, "Yes, they do."

              But she didn't use to.

             Davina questioned hesitantly, "What's...so scary about it? Over there?"

                 "What's scarier than death? Each time I go there, it feels like dying again," Jenny sniffled. "But that's my trauma."

                "I'm sorry," Davina said sympathetically. "You know we don't have to do this? If the witches want an ally, they can get someone else."

               "But I have to do this, Davina," Jenny advised.

                "Why?"