~13~ Allesandro's Secret

We finally learn what happened that night on Hyda, years ago.

Unedited.

~

He heard their voices above them, running the peaceful manor he was hiding away in. They found him, and they wanted him back. Ruy wished Kenric or Tezca were here; they would know what to do.

"He is here somewhere!"

"The High Lady has been hiding him."

"We could get Vespera's brat and the Morrettis in one go! We are drinking tonight boys!"

"Look at all this rich stuff around the house! Look at this geode! Who needs this?"

Ruy sniffled, holding the hem of his shirt in tiny fists. Nyoka noticed and slowed down, holding out her hand for him with a strained smile. But Ruy kept going.

This was his fault.

Allesandro kept Alexios by his right side and kept Amalia on his left. His hand tightly grappled on his daughter as they walked through the dank tunnels. The only time his mother held him with that sort of protective fierceness was when she needed him to do something.

"Through here," Nyoka whispered, taking the lead through another tunnel. Their footsteps echo through the tunnel as they carefully maneuvered down slick and steep stairs. Ruy noticed they were covered with mold, the dankness thicker as he took shuddering breaths. Distantly, the sound of Neverseen boots marched through the tunnels. They found their way in.

Soon, a soft light tickled the murky brownstones of the tunnels. The group turned towards it, sprinting to the grate it illuminated through.

Nyoka struggled to pull it off as Allesandro made sure Alexios had his coat around himtight to keep out the ocean chill.

"Let me," Allesandro pulled the rusted grate off in one tug, holding out a hand for Nyoka. She carefully took it, her hand small in his as she carefully stepped through the grate and shuffled down the rocks a bit, waiting for all of them on the beach.

Allesandro helped Alexios, then Amalia, and finally Ruy. Ruy hesitated a bit when Allesandro reached to help him.

"It's alright boy, we will get out of this just fine," Allesandro reassured. Ruy whimpered but took his hand, carefully sliding on the rock into Nyoka's waiting arms, who set him down on the soft sands of the Hyda beach. He could hear the island's panic even from the isolated beach, maybe only two miles from the very same dock they arrived in a day ago.

"Some barbarians broke into our High Lady's house!"

"Have her guards done anything?"

"They were all incapacitated from what I've heard."

"Gods save her, she has been kind to us."

Allesandro carefully plunked the grate back into place and slid down the rock himself, landing masterfully on the sand.

"What's the plan Nyoka? Do you still have the safe houses I set up on your island?"

"I believe so."

"Some of my men should be stationed there. They will be able to help us ride this out-" Allesandro squinted at the docks and cursed. Ruy tried to see what he was looking at, but Allesandro pushed the kids all into Nyoka's arms.

"Keep going along the coastline, it's too dark for them to see you. Try to cover your tracks once you enter the forest. I'll stay to divert them."

"What are you-" Nyoka stopped as she saw them too. Dark hooded figures quickly approaching them from the docks. Nyoka began to shuffle them away, paling at the Neverseen soldiers. On the dock stood Governor Heinrich, his hand on his sword as he glowered at them.