Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1

10,773 words.
Thank you to @Ninou0718 for the character of Leiane!
Thank you to @PandasRulez54 for the character of Zoe!
Thank you to @AraceliLinnaea for the characters of Araceli and Atarah!

(Don't worry, you'll see your characters in part 2 as well)

I'm actually a Cali baby, so this story was fun to write!

Week 1

Sophie tapped her foot, glaring at the mass of scales sleeping on the side of her house.

The dragon she saved a while ago was propped up against it, soundly sleeping and enjoying the Saturday sun in Inalia. Sophie had been in Inalia for two weeks, working on recovering and trying to think of a plan to get the Neverseen out of her city.

And the giant lizard refused to leave her alone.

"What do you want?" Sophie snapped at it. The dragon lazily opened its eyes, huffing at her.

"You're free, you don't need to stay here." Sophie argued, taking a step closer to it.

The dragon snapped its eyes open and snarled, glaring at her.

Cautiously, Sophie stepped back.

But then she realized why the dragon didn't want her any closer. Because, deep in his ruby-red eyes, she saw fear. Fear of what had happened to him and if it could happen again. He followed her because she may have been the only symbol of safety in his entire life.

"Do you have a family?" Sophie asked quietly. She knew the dragon wouldn't respond, but she asked anyway, maybe just asking herself.

Sophie bit her lip, looking around.

Maybe if she could find its herd, she could get it home-

"No, no." Sophie grumbled to herself. The dragon opened one eye, clearly annoyed at her for ruining her nap.

"I have enough things to worry about as it is." Sophie sighed, throwing her hands in the air.

Lilac skipped out of the Morretti Villa, spying Sophie glaring at the lazy dragon.

"Lia?" Lilac called out. Sophie turned to her sister, dragging a hand down her face.

"Is he still here?" Lilac asked, skipping over and staring at the dragon.

"No matter what I do, he won't budge. He only ever leaves for food, but he is always back the next morning," Sophie crossed her arms, "But, if anyone just," Sophie took a step towards the dragon, the reptile snapping up and snarling at her.

"He does that. He won't let anyone near him." Sophie sighed. Lilac held Sophie's hand, her moonlark plush dangling in her other hand.

"I think it's scared Lia." Lilac breathed. Sophie followed Lilac's gaze, where her eyes traced over the healing raw flesh where the chains dug into his skin. His jaw was still covered in long scratches and searing burns from the muzzle he was wearing.