~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories

Unedited. 

~

Ruy scribbled on the paper balanced on his knee, writing down Edaline's suggestion before pinning it to the board. He grabbed some string, wrapping it around the thumbtack before tying it back to their fifth theory on Fitz's location. Everyone was gathered around a massive board they set up in the Havenfield living room. A few hours ago, the triplets and Sofia were put to bed in a spare bedroom in Havenfield, everyone else staying up.

"Okay, so we know how they lured Fitz and Sofia to Atlantis. We know what they wanted Fitz for. We know that the Assassins are being held somewhere in the Lost Cities from what I found in the Castello, and it could be possible Fitz and Maria are being held in the same place." Ruy grabbed a small sticky note, writing Gold on it and sticking it in the middle of the board.

"My mother wrote the word Gold next to the missing Assassins. It could be related." Ruy finished.

"But they could also be somewhere other than the stolen Assassins. You say more are missing every week, right?"

Ruy's face was grim as he nodded, "They have their Assassins looking everywhere, but Sophie has our men spread thin right now. It is making it easier for them to pick us off."

"Transporting large amounts of stolen Assassins is risky, and they know that. If they want to keep Maria and Fitz well hidden, they would keep the stolen Assassins away from Maria and Fitz to avoid attracting the Assassins." Grizel interjected.

Ruy groaned, rubbing his temples. They were right.

"Shit, okay. Maria isn't in the Castello. Me or my spies would've noticed her. We need to get some sort of basis to work off of. A description, and lead, anything."

"Sofia said that Vespera was asking about a goblet. Could that be one of those artifacts you mentioned?"

"I don't know, we should confirm with Soph. Did you-"

"I already contacted her." Keefe nodded, crossing his arms as he leaned back.

"She said they'll be here as fast as possible."

Ruy's heart swelled. He'll see Sophie, see her in the flesh again. And this time, they aren't going to be rushing away to their jobs.

"The goblet plays a factor, it has too." Ruy turned to their board, his mind getting tangled in all of the pinned threads and leads.

"Let's take a break everyone. Let's get back to it in 15 minutes?" Edaline proposed. Everyone agreed, dispersing from the living room. Most of them went outside, wanting a breath of fresh air. Ruy sighed, wanting to get a fresh shirt from the small selection on his bed. He bumped into Grady, who was heading outside to join the others.

Ruy swallowed as Grady glared at him. Grady patted his shoulder, "We appreciate you doing this, kid."

Still in shock, Ruy mumbled, "It's the least I can do. And it's the right the to do."

Grady gave him a little smile, "Yes. Yes, it is."

Ruy watched him go, his wings perking up a little bit. Maybe he wasn't completely doomed with Grady.

Buttoning up his shirt, he quietly closed his door behind him and began back downstairs.

"Ruy?" A small voice asked.

Ruy froze, whipping around to see Sofia. She remembered him from the time they saved her from the Neverseen, and her eyes shined when she looked at him. She yawned, rubbing her hand over her eye.

"Hey kiddo, you are supposed to be asleep. Is everything okay?" Ruy asked.

"I couldn't sleep." Sofia mumbled.