The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.

I like to call this "Sibylline is stupid and forgot to post the review with the last chapter"!!!!

My Unlocked review. Just some fair warning, I really don't hold back in this review, so... sorry. I really wasn't crazy about this book so, please don't unfollow or leave nasty comments because my views do not align with yours. This is a review from my personal view, and I'd love to amicably discuss and debate in the comments. Who knows, maybe you will change my views!

PS, there is a little scene I wrote near the end of the review, just for you loyal folk. Hope you enjoy!

Unedited

Part 1- ROO-EE TONIO IGNIS

Starting off strong with a quick glance at the name guide...

IT'S PRONOUNCED ROO-EE?! Are you kidding me?! I've been pronouncing it as "Rye" literally since he was introduced. There is no way in hell I'm going to pronounce it Roo-ee! BUT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! It is the derpiest ass name I've ever heard, and Ruy is such a cool and serious character and his damn name is ROO-EE? NO! I REFUSE.

I am both appalled and completely entertained by this damn man's name. I know cannon Ruy is not my Ruy, but still, Roo-ee is just... oh boy. I want to make a cameo of Roo-ee in AAD, no cap. Just so ya'll know, Ruy is pronounced "Rye" in AAD. But dead ass, when I started reading that, I was cackling. Roo-ee, unbelievable... and TONIO. Ruy has a very Italian sounding middle name, Tonio, so that felt very AAD canon as well.

Part 2- Keefe, ffs

Keefe. My guy.

What the hell are you doing?

Keefe's character is an interesting one, but I can't exactly say I like him. He feels like a carbon cutout meant to distract the audience. The typical "Handsome funny best friend who steals the girl". I was tolerant of Keefe's character for a while, that is until he got wrapped up in this legacy? I feel like that is where his character started to go downhill. Instead of taking the time to find a happy household and address his trauma from his abusive parents along with furthering the plot, he is sent on this fruitless hunt for some Legacy that barely changes anything.

I'm just going to say it. Sophie isn't the main character anymore, Keefe is. For some reason, Shannon decided that Keefe's plot is the new main plot for the rest of the series. But nothing works cohesively. Keefe's plot is chunky and doesn't make much sense, it feels jammed in to divert our attention away from Sophie's dying character and the dragging plot. This is a problem in itself, but Keefe has this big role he is supposed to fill but he really just doesn't fill it. There is little character development and change coming from him, the books mostly talking about how he is a sad puppy dog who tells bad jokes and needs sympathy from everyone around him. I tolerated this at first because he is a kid. They are all kids. It is his natural response to traumatic happenings. But as a series progresses, characters age, learn, and change, and very few of Shannon's characters do any of that.

Keefe should have a less big part in the series. Of course, he needs to be there cuz his mom is in the Neverseen and yada yada yada, but he isn't our main character, Sophie is. I would like Keefe a lot more if he simply communicated and didn't cause more problems that take up unnecessary time in the book. And now, I have to address it.

The end of the novella? Was the most infuriating thing Keefe has ever done.

Instead of listening to those around him, understanding and apologizing, he runs away in a panic. By doing this, Shannon has further taken our attention away from our main character and onto this mediocre one that is causing problems and meant to create sympathy.