~36~ A Muddled Family Secret

Unedited

"You're not coming, Lilac!" Sophie snapped, pulling her belt from her closet. Lilac stomped after her elder sister, "The Senator said anyone with the Morretti name. That counts me!"

Alexios came into Sophie's bedroom already ready to leave, his robes tightened and hood casting shadows over his face.
"I'm with Amalia on this, Lilac. You are too young, we have no idea what is going to happen." Alexios started, his little sister groaning.

"Oh come on! Maria is going, and she only has one arm!" Lilac stopped as Alexios glared at her, the subject clearly still raw.
Maria strode into the room, holding a screwdriver to her left shoulder. A sheet of copper metal hung from her arm stump.

"Mom? I thought I told you-"

"Alexios, you don't tell me what to do, I'm your mother. It is the other way around." Maria threw down the screwdriver and grabbed a small vial of water from her belt. She dribbled the water through various mechanisms in the metal sheets, and with a deep breath, she shoved it onto her stump.

"Holy shit, mom!" Alexios scrambled back as Maria keeled over. But Maria was propped up with two hands, not one. One was made of beaten copper.

"Maria? Did you make an arm?!" Sophie gaped. Maria got up the floor shakily, glancing at the arm, and rolled it around her shoulder.

"It's a prototype. It is fairly primitive. The arm itself is a shell with small veins lined with hydrophobic paste that holds the water. So, I use my hydrokineses to control it." As if on cue, the arm launched up to the sky, Maria glaring at it and smacking it with her other hand to get the joints working. It wasn't a smooth movement of any sort and looked uncomfortable, but it could hold a blade.

Sophie stepped forward, "Maria, you should be healing right now. Getting into any sort of battle with us is not a good idea, especially with a not fully articulated arm." Sophie contested. Maria glared at her, then her son, and sighed before popping off the arm.

"I'll leave the arm. But I'm still going with you."

"Of course." Sophie finished.

"Oh come on! Let me go!" Lilac whined

"Maria is the matriarch of our family and the has the most history with Vincenzo. She has to come." Sophie got to Lilac's level, "Hathlani, your power is truly amazing, but it also puts you at great risk. We cannot risk them hurting you."

Sophie glanced at Alexios, who helped Maria tie her robes. Maria never liked anyone helping her, but her son didn't take no for an answer. The young Assassin Kylo Babalos walked through the doors, saluting all of them. Ruy was behind him, already suited up. Sophie strode to him, giving him a scroll and rushing the two of them away, giving Ruy a quick peck on the cheek.

"Stay here with Filomena. We will be back soon." Sophie said to her little sister as she turned back from the doors.

"But-"

"Hathlani." Sophie snapped her voice a clear warning. Lilac's face pinched, and she ran from the room with steam practically blowing out her ears.

"She will work through it." Maria turned to Sophie, "We need to leave."