Chapter 11

When I got home I immediately broke down hating the fact that I was so weak.

Natalie wasn't being sincere , I just know it , but I'll keep my distance from her as much as I  possibly can.
As I laid in bed that night I kept playing that scene in my head. I get that Mason was just trying to be helpful.
I just hated the way he went about it.

I was wallowing in self pity when my phone dinged with a message.

Jackson - hey kid. Be ready early tomorrow morning. We're going out for breakfast and Dustin's paying 🤩🤩.

Me - okay , is Mason going to be there. I want to talk to him about something.

Jackson - yeah I think so. He was pretty upset when Dustin went off on him. I've never seen him so distraught. 😂😂

Me -

Jackson - I deserve a big hug tomorrow kid 🙂💓.

Me - of course Jackson. Goodnight 💓

I fell asleep with a smile gracing my face. I woke up the next morning with a smile and met my mother downstairs.
She was going through his email while sipping on a cup of steaming coffee.

"Morning honey", she smile.
I loved her smile , especially since it was directed at me.

"Good morning mother , how did you sleep", I smiled at her. "I slept really well. The crisis at work has been sorted. I was thinking that we could have dinner tonight. I'll even cook steak for you", she smiled warmly.

I was a bit confused at this. She's never this nice and it freaked me out.
"You'll make steak , for me", I asked confused.

"Yes honey. The other night what you said about me not being proud of you, and I just thought we can properly talk about it.  You're my daughter and I would like to know about your interests and things like that", she smiled.

"I love you Cassie , and I'm sorry that I haven't expressed it like you wanted me. I just want to get to know you and let you know that you're not alone in this world. Whatever happens , just know that I'll always be here for you okay", she said and looked at me.

I had no words , but I did something I never thought I would do.

I hugged her and what shocked me even more , she hugged me back. She actually hugged me back.

"I love you too mother and thank you for trying. I can't wait for supper tonight mother", I said when the doorbell rang.

My eyes widened and my mother got up to get it.

I ran up behind my mother when she opened the door to a brightly smiling Jackson holding a bunch of red roses in his hands.

My mother looked between us with a confused expression.

"Good morning Ma'am . My name's Jackson I'm Cassie's friend . These are for you", he smiled holding up the flowers to my mother who silently took it.

"Thank you Jackson. And please call me Rose", my mother smiled slightly. "You have a beautiful name Rose and you can call me Jack ", he smiled brightly again.

"Um , hey Jackson. We should get going", I say grabbing my bag and moving past my mother. "Okay , have a great day school honey. Bye Jackson", my mother said and I dragged Jackson off the porch.

"What the hell was that. You brought my mother flowers. Why would you do that", I said laughing at Jackson and shaking my head. "I was making sure she likes me. I'm your friend after all", he beamed at me.