Chapter 17

"What are you doing Friday after school , I was thinking me and you could hang out", Emily said as she took a seat beside me in the cafeteria.

"Yeah , I'd like that. I just have to let my mother know since she's been coming home earlier everyday", I said taking a bite of my sandwich.

"I made myself a sandwich and my mom seriously thought something was wrong with me ", Emily laughed.

"Wow ", I chuckled softly.

"Hey girls ", Jackson smiled and joined us.

I looked around and saw Mason and Dustin wasn't here.

"Where's Mason and Dustin ", I asked looking at Jackson.

"They have lunch detention since Mr. Hipps decided that that speaking while he was teaching is disrespectful", Jackson chuckled.

"I don't like Mr. Hipps. He's a cranky old man", Emily said shaking her head.

"So , why didn't you get lunch detention. Knowing you , you were the one who started the conversation", Emily chuckled.

"Yeah , but he caught them arguing so I'm in the clear ", Jackson said smirking.

"Whatcha got there. I'm starving " , he said and took my bag of potato chips immediately munching it down.

"Sure you can have it Jackson ", I mumbled.

The day went by pretty quickly and before I knew were standing in the parking lot waiting for Dustin who had a meeting with his coach.

"So what , we go to the lake house and do what", I ask no one in particular.

"Well , I ordered cameras online that we can set up around the house. So whenever there's movement I'll set it up so we can get notification", Mason mumble beside me.

"Wow you sound like you've done this already Mason ", I say looking at him.
"We kinda worked -"

Mason shot Jackson a look before he could  continue speaking.

"So , you did work for him before , what did you do ", I ask lifting a eyebrow.

"Nothing , it doesn't matter , you don't have to come along Cassie. We could deal with this on our own ", Mason sighed running a hand through his hair.

"It's not like I have a choice Mason. Graham asked me to come with you for a reason ", I say upset.

"He just wanted to rile me up by using you. This doesn't involve you okay. I'll drop you at home ", Mason said and got in his car as Dustin came strolling out.

I really wanted to see the lake house but if Mason don't want me there , that's okay too.

We haven't known each other for that long anyways.

"Yeah , okay ", I say softly and get in the car.

Mason sighed beside me but I kept my focus out the window.

He stopped in my driveway , I gave him a small smile and got out.

"I'll call you later", Mason said , I just nodded and kept walking.

"Cassie wait", Mason said getting out the car.

"Yeah ", I said and turned to face him.

"I'm sorry ",Mason sighed.

"For what Mason ", I asked crossing arms.

"I don't know , I clearly offended you somehow. I just don't want you anywhere near this operation okay. It's dangerous and I'd damned if I get you involved", Mason sighed pulling me closer towards him.

"I just want to see the lake house Masey", I say wrapping my arms around his waist and looked up at him.

Mason sighed and gave me a light kiss on my forehead.

"Fine , but I don't like any of this ", Mason grumbled and pulled away from me.

"Really , thank you Masey", beamed and quickly peck his lips.

Mason mumbled something under his breath as I skipped towards his car.

"Wow , you have wrapped around your finger don't you princess ", Dustin chuckled when I got out the car.

I just smiled in return.

"It's down this way , it's not a far walk ", Jackson said putting his hands in his front pockets.

"Wait , I thought there's a pathway. I don't want to walk , what if there's snakes ", I say and move closer to Mason.

"There's no such thing Cassie ", Jackson chuckled shaking his head.
"You don't know that ", I mumbled as Mason took my hand.

"Come on ", he mumbled and pulled me along with him.

I kept a tight grip on his hand as we walked.

A bird flew out one of the tress , I immediately gripped Mason with both hands.

Mason chuckled and kept walking.

"I'll just wait in the car ", I say and stopped walking.

"Hop on my back Cassie ", Mason said amused.

"But I'm heavy ", I say looking down.
"You don't really have a choice baby ", Mason sighed.

I knew he was getting irritated by me.
I just couldn't help it.
I have bad memories of the woods.

"Um , it's okay I'll just walk ", I say blinking back my tears. 

"Are you okay ", Mason asked concerned.

"Yeah , just tired that's all", I said and walked ahead.

Mason gripped my hand tightly in his.

"You're okay ", he smiled and continued.

The lake house was beautiful to say the least.

It was surrounded by tress on the small building and the lake was about 100 feet away.

Everything was so calming about being here.

"It's beautiful ", I said amazed.

"It is isn't it ", Jackson said beside me.

Dustin and Mason was scouting the area to see where to put the cameras as I stood by the river beside Jackson.

"You okay ", Jackson asked offering me a chocolate biscuit.

I accepted the biscuit with a smile.
"Thanks , yeah I'm okay ", I smiled.

"Hey , you know Mason just wants to keep you safe right. Graham is sly and he could turn he's back on us at any moment ", Jackson explained.
I sighed .

"I know he just wants to keep me safe Jack , but I'm already somehow involved ", I muttered looking forward.

"You don't have to worry or be scared kid. Mason will protect you , he always protects the ones he cares about ", Jackson smiled.

"You really think he cares me ", I ask smiling.

"I'm pretty sure he loves you ", Jackson chuckled and walked back to lake house.

Love ?
Mason doesn't love me does he ?

***
Vote and follow !