Chapter 23

I don't know how long I've been out cold but I felt someone hold my hand tightly in theirs.

"I'm so sorry baby. I should have protected you like I promised ", I heard Mason's rough voice.

I wanted to tell him it's not he's fault , I'm the one who pushed him down.

"Please come  back to me baby , I miss you. It's been a whole week and I feel like I'm slowly losing my sanity. Your mother just left , she doesn't want me here , I don't blame her though. I'm the one that dragged you in the mess. I love you baby , please just come back to me. Jackson and Dustin really misses you and Emily camps out here every night to make sure she's the first one you see", Mason chuckled softly.

He then placed his lips to my forehead.

"I love you baby", are the last words and I can't even say it back.

I just sat and listened whenever he spoke until I felt my hands again.

Since Mason never lets go of my hand when he's here , I moved my fingers and I heard him gasp.

"Baby , can you hear me. Do that again please", he begged excitedly.

I slowly began falling asleep when I gave him one last squeeze and fell into a peaceful slumber.

The day , I'm guessing there's a sudden buzz in my room and I smell my mother's perfume as she rubs my head affectionately.

"She should be waking up really soon , it's up to her now Ms.Rose. Her vitals are looking good , but we'll check again when she wakes. For now , she needs space so fewer people around should make her feel less overwhelmed and have no problem waking up", the doctor said but I still couldn't bring myself to open my eyes or even speak.

What's wrong with me ?!

"I think you should leave , she needs space and you're only crowding her son", I hear my mother say through clenched teeth.

"With all due respect Rose , I'm not leaving her okay. I love your daughter and I'm going be here when she wakes up ", I heard Mason say and step closer to my bed.

"Look Mason, if she hadn't met you , she might not have been in this place in the first place. Being a snitch of some sort ", my mother said angrily beside me.

"Don't yell , stop arguing ", I wanted to say but it came out mumbled.

"Cassie , baby , come on wake up now ", Mason said and gripped my hand in his.

"Don't , yell ", I managed to croaked out.

"No one's going to yell okay honey , should I get the doctor , are you in pain", my mother rushed out.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked over at Mason.

He had dark circles under his eyes and he's hair looked messy.

He looked like a walking zombie , but what shocked me the most was the fact that he has tears in his beautiful eyes.

I frowned and reached up my hand to wipe a tear that slipped down his cheek.

"You're finally awake baby , I missed you so much ", he said and laid he's forehead against mine and breathing in my scent.

"I'm alive ", I smiled with cracked lips.

"I'm going to get the doctor , I'll be right back honey ", my mother say and quickly left the room.

"What happened to Graham and the others ", I asked reaching for the glass of water beside the bed.

"Wait let me ", Mason said and raised the glass up putting the straw in my mouth.

"They've been locked up , my brother works for the FBI that helped us get a slap on the wrist ", Mason smiled and put the empty glass down.

"But he's in England ", I say and try to sit up.

"Yeah , but he worked here before he moved to England. So it all worked out. We're free baby ", Mason smiled.

The doctor arrived with my fuming mother and checked for any other injuries and examined my stomach.

"Everything seems in order , you will be required to have a follow up regarding your injuries but you're okay to go. However , we would like to keep you one more night for observation and you'll be able to sign the discharge forms tomorrow ", the nice doctor smiled.

"Thank you doctor , I appreciate it ", my mother smiled .

"If you have any questions , please just come find me ", he smiled warmly then left.

"I would like a word alone with daughter please', my mother more demanded looking straight at Mason.

"Okay , I'll just head home quick , I'll be back now", Mason said and pecked my cheek.

"I love you okay ", he whispered then kissed my forehead.

"Okay , I love you too ", I smiled back at him and my mother cleared her throat.

"So , how are you really feeling honey ", my mother asked touching my forehead.

"Well , my throat hurts alot , but I'm okay", I frowned.

"How could you be so careless Cassie. What if that bullet killed you , what possessed you to go after gang leaders and not tell me. What if I lost you too , we just turned a new leaf and were doing well", my mother said her voice cracking at the end and then she broke down.

"I can't lose you too Cassie", she sniffed.
"I'm sorry mother , I wasn't really thinking , I won't do anything like that again I promise. I won't put my life in danger like that again", I said holding my mother's hand.

"Don't be mad at Mason , he protected me as much as he could , that guy just caught me off guard", I frown recalling their argument.

"I'm not mad at Mason , I'm just mad at the situation you put yourselves in honey. Thank God he's brother was there to call an ambulance to there. I'm grateful to them ", she smiled warmly at me.

"I also have a surprise for you ", my mother smiled and looked towards the door.

I turned and saw Amy smiling brightly with a box with chicken nuggets in I can only assume.

"Hey ", she smiles walking closer.

"They said healthy food , but who can deny chicken nuggets", she said holding it towards me.

"Thank you so much Amy , I missed you so much ", I said opening my arms for her to hug me.

"Sorry , I'm a day early but I needed to make sure you're okay . Seems like your life is more exciting than mine now ", she mumbled hugging me the best she can considering the position I'm in.

"I know right ", I laughed lightly.

"Well , we have to go back , I have a early meeting before I sign you out , Mason should be here soon ", my mother smiled as she checked her watch.

"Hot Mr. Boyfriend Mason", Amy whispered in my ear causing me to blush furiously and shake my head at her.

"I'll see you around ten honey , I love you ", my mother said and gave my cheeks a light kiss.

"Yeah , see you tomorrow morning bestie , my heart onto you ", Amy smiles walking behind my mother blowing me air kisses.

Amy always had difficulty saying the actual

'I love you '

She grew up in multiple foster homes until she met her current parents who love her unconditionally.

***

Heyoooo !!

Vote and follow me !