thirty three | voldemort

Jeno's brows knit in pure bafflement but he can't seem to muster up the words to speak.

Tom scoffs. "How is it, that a baby with no extraordinary magical talent was able to defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How did you escape-"

He lifts Mark's wand to Jeno's shirt, pulling it down slightly to reveal the scar on his collarbone.
"With nothing but a scar while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?"

Jeno grunts and shoves away the wand from his skin. "Why do you care how I escaped? Voldemort is your enemyㅡ No... it's almost as if you care about him."

He feels Mark's trembling hand wrap around his arm and he pulls the younger back slightly. "Don't."

One word. Only one single word can escape him due to his panic and overwhelming fright.

Tom's lips pull into a disdainful smirk and he speaks,
"Voldemort is my past, present and future."

He swivels to write his name on air with sharp, burning letters, Tom Marvolo Riddle, and with a swish of the wand, the alphabets shift to create a sentence, I am Lord Voldemort.

Mark dreads the sight. He expected it and yet, he didn't want to believe it.

Jeno stares wide-eyed at the dark lord. "You, you're the Heir of Slytherin."

Voldemort glares at him with despise dancing in his frigid eyes. "Surely, you didn't think I was going to keep my filthy muggle father's name? No. I fashioned myself a new name. A name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak when I become the greatest sorcerer in the world."

"Albus Dumbledore is the greatest sorcerer in the world!" Jeno roars, enraged as his fists are tightly balled until his palms and knuckles turn white.

Their fiery, spiteful stares pierce into one another until a bird's screech echoes and steal their attentions.

They turn to the source and the two friends furrow.

"Fawkes?" Jeno recognizes the flaming red phoenix.

He drops an object as he flies above them and Mark catches it before he flies away.

Mark hastily unfolds the item and is filled with utter confusion.

"So, this is what Dumbledore sends to his great defender? A songbird and an old hat."

He revolves and strides towards the giant, head stone statue behind them and stretches his hand towards it before hissing in parseltongue.

"Let's match the power of Lord Voldemort, heir of Salazar Slytherin, against the famous boy who lived."

All of a sudden, a snake larger than any other, larger than the statues itself, slithers out of the mouth of the head statue and begins to approach Mark and Jeno.

They quickly shut their eyes and haste to run but are suddenly, pushed by the Basilisk and they're sent flying a far distance.

"Ow..." Mark groans and pain as Jeno hisses- both feeling sharp throbbing at every surface of their figures but an abrupt, familiar screech makes them forget about it all for a brief second.

Fawkes glides through the entrance and up towards the Basilisk's head- having a little quarrel before he stabs his sharp claws into the snake's eyes to blind him.

Mark and Jeno watch from the shadows as they remain on the wet floor in pain but slowly, surely, their strengths begin to rekindle.

"NO!" Voldemort roars in vexation and whips his head towards the two friends. "Your bird may have blinded the Basilisk! But it can still hear you!"

And as the creature shrieks in grief over the loss of his eyes, Mark and Jeno flee into the large pipes- the snake following soon after.