six | calls

"And the answer to this is..." Jeno trails off uncertainly as he sits at their common room's floor to use the table and finish his Potions assignment.

  Ama looks up from her book to peek at the question and detects the confusion on his face. "Isn't it bezoar?"

  Jeno ponders. "Oh, wait. You're right! Thanks."

  She replies his eyesmile with a sweet smile of her own.

  His gaze lingers on her unintentionally but she then lowers her eyes to his hand- her fingers brushing against the cold, metal ring.

  "Whose is this?" She asks, unfamiliar with it considering how his rings tend to be minimalistic with only engravings on them. But this one is designed with a dark jewel in its centre.

  Jeno watches as she turns his hand to inspect the gem. "It's Mark's. He left it with me when he had to slice a few ingredients in Potions. He forgot to take it and I always forget to give it back."

  "It looks nice on you," she compliments, smiling unconsciously and Jeno sees it- eyes turning into crescents as he makes a bold move to hold her delicate fingers in his.

  They build a heartwarming atmosphere and she lifts her head. Their eyes melt into one another's and for a split second there, he could've leaned in.

  But there's a setback.

  "Jeno....Lee....Jeno...."

  The eerie voice echoes in his ears before a stinging pain starts throbbing  in his head.

  "Ah!" A brief shout escapes as his hands fly to his head, pressing his skull fiercely, it might just crack.

  "Jeno!" She gasps, catching him when he falls into her arms at the immense agony. "Let me get helpㅡ"

  "Tonic," he croaks out and she pauses.

  "W-what?" She frantically asks.

  "My tonic. It's in my pocket," he groans, now lying on the carpet and she hastily searches his casual trousers- finding it almost immediately.

  She pops open the little vial and helps him ingest it.

  A moment of silence follows as the concoction eases the sharp irritation in his head.

  Ama stays with him and he lies his head on her legs as she sits crossed- running her fingers through his dark, silky hair as comfort. 

  His eyelids flutter open and the first he sees is the girl with a look of worry casted on her face.

  "Are you feeling better?" She queries and he nods but feels massively drained. "You've been having frequent headaches these days, Jeno. Have you checked with the nurse?"

  Jeno stays silent for a moment, not wanting to utter a word about the mysterious voice that haunts him every now and then.

  "I have and she said that I must've held or touched a cursed item or something. But, it's not that serious. It should wear off soon," he rasps out, shutting his eyes again.

  She hums skeptically but says nothing of it.

  Again, a comforting silence surrounds them- which is then broken by a quick, faint sound of a peck.

  Jeno's eyes go wide as saucers at the small smooch to his forehead and he blinks in a daze at her but she faces elsewhere.

  "You can rest as long as you want. I'm just gonna read, anyways," she says, flipping open the book Renjun suggested her.
"And don't worry, I'll make sure to stretch out my legs if I need to."

  His lips part, as if wanting to say something but speechless.

  So he doesn't.

  He gulps, trying to calm down the racing of his heart as he lays supine, thankful that she can't see the blush on his face behind her book.

  And she's grateful that the book is there too, to help her hide her flushed cheeks and wandering pupils that can't seem to focus on the words.