forty three | magic cookies

"Cookies!!" Mark, Renjun, Jeno, Chenle, Jisung and Ama squeal ebulliently at the delicacies Chenle's mother brings.

"I take the gingerbread man!" Chenle calls dibs.

"I take the train!" Jisung voices next.

Ama drops herself to stretch and reach the star to which Jeno considerately helping her by subtly putting his arms under her stomach- holding her up.
"The star for me!"

She sits back up and he quickly retracts his limbs, letting his kindness remain unspoken.

They each take a biscuit when Mark suddenly, raises his arms. "Wait! These aren't ordinary biscuits are they? Your mum always bakes some deliciously charmed cookies."

"Well, that's the fun, isn't it?" Chenle snickers and fearlessly bites into his gingerbread man.

His figure abruptly flattens and he turns as stiff as the snack- becoming a mirror image.

"This is wicked!!" Lele laughs uproariously as he jumps here and there as a giant gingerbread man.

Jisung gasps, astonished and eats his cookie only to remember that his biscuit has a different form.

He gasps, hysterical and rakes his hair through his dark hair. "Oh no! I'm going to turn into a train! I'm gonna destroy the whole house! HEㅡ CHOOOOOOOOO!"

His shouts turn into a train's howl and the others burst out laughing.

"Sneezing, are you, Sungie?" Mark jests and even, Jisung breaks into fits of laughter, relieved he stayed as human.

The spell on Chenle wears off and now, it's Ama's turn to eat hers.

She looks at the other three who haven't eaten theirs- Mark holding a cookie shaped as a red, ball ornament while Renjun carries a snowman and Jeno's is santa.

"1, 2, 3!" They count yet, still chomp at different timings.

"OOF!" Mark sounds when he's inflated into a giant ball with shining, glass red skin- rolling around on the couch, trying to balance himself to stay still on his cute bloated tummy.

Jisung and Naomi clap their hands like a pair of ecstatic seals.

"You look like Violet from 'Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory' but, red!" Jisung compares and the wizards frown at the unfamiliar.

Amaryllis and Jisung, the muggles, exchange goofy grins and she waves them off. "Don't worry, it's a muggle thing."

"Look!" Chenle points at Jeno whose chin and philtrum start to grow long, white hairs and soon, a full grown beard covers half his face down to his chest.

"SANTAAAA!" The three youngest and Renjun celebrate and they all hug him- crushing him under.

"Hohoho, such good kids," Jeno entertains them and due to the charm, even his voice changes into a deep yet, friendly and elderly tone.

The sudden chilly feeling on Ama's skin causes her to flinch and she shoots her eyes open to see glittering white skin- almost like snow, upon her.

She gasps, giddy and her eyes sparkle like the snowflakes in Renjun's skin. "Mr.Snowman!"

Loud, enthusiastic roars emit from the group of friends when they see the wintry Renjun with his nose elongated and orange like a carrot.

He automatically raises his stick arms up, starting to sing 'Jingle Bells.'

The others join and swing their arms in the air- swaying side to side.

Until, Ama starts to glow incredibly bright- blinding them and little stars escape from her mouth everytime she opens it.

"Ow! My eyes hurt!" Jisung covers his pierced eyes by her excessive shine and Jeno rushes to shut the lights.

The pitch black darkness makes her the main attraction and she radiates brilliantly in the centre.

"Not bad, huh?" She asks and the others chuckle, agreeing. She then, inhales a lengthy, slow breath before shouting out, "Happy holidays to all and to all, a good night!"

She copies the line of Jack Skellington from 'Nightmare Before Christmas' and a generous amount of stars shoot pass her lips- decorating the dark living room with countless, flickering stars.

The breathtaking view gains admiration and enchants the group of friends who are gobsmacked and utterly speechless.

It lasts for a good second before the magic fades and Jeno turns on the lights again.

Fortunately, after the first bite, the spell completely vanishes to allow them to eat their snacks peacefully.

"Your mother has clearly outdone herself this time," Mark praises genuinely and Chenle proudly accepts with his nose raised high.

The older lets out endearing chuckles when he notes the lone biscuit on the ceramic plate. "Strange, though. She made an extra one."

Lele instantly furrows and checks whether he's true or not. "That's weird. My mom never makes mistakes in calculation."

"Then, maybe... it's for her?"

Mark's words are proven wrong when the woman appears at the door of the grand living room of the mansion, a smile identical to Chenle's worn on her face.
"Honey, your other friend's here!"

"Other friend?" The teenagers all chorus when an unexpected and most certainly, not a friend, enters.

The latecomer raise their hand with a languid, insincere and awkward stretch of their lips before asking,
"What's up?"

"Donghyuck??" The group of six exclaim, purely bewildered and Lele's mom hums merrily as she skips away.