eight | voices

"Sir?" Mark calls gently when he walks into the headmaster's office.

  "Ah, Mark," Professor Dumbledore greets with his soft, airy tone and ushers the boy in. "I've been told you wished to speak of a suspected cursed object."

  The student nods and stands in front of the teacher. "Yes, professor. I found it at my own house, actually, when I went back home for Christmas. I forgot to ask my mom about it but there was just something about it that felt... peculiar.
  "But it felt bad everytime I wore it so I left it with Jeno. I didn't know he would wear it as well but, earlier, he got all mad because of it. So, I thought this should better be with you."

  Dumbledore's ears perk up despite the fact that he still looks as calm as ever with his half-lidded eyes set on the boy through his low glasses.
"Ah, very well. You may leave it with me."

  Mark puts it on his table and gives a slight nod before heading for the door but gets called back again.

  "Yes, sir?" He sounds and the headmaster smiles softly.

  "Can you call Jeno in for me? I have to question him of his experience with the ring."

  Mark nods again and exits. 

  Moments later, Jeno arrives. "You called for me, sir?"

  The headmaster nods. "Yes, yes I did. I've heard from Mark that you fell victim to this ring. Am I right?" 

  "Yes, professor." 

  "Hm, very well," the teacher responds, bobbing his head gently.

  A while of silence follows as none of them speaks after.

  "Then..." Jeno starts and bows, about to leave when the professor holds him back with his words.

  "Before that," Dumbledore starts. "How is your headache?"

  Jeno furrows, confused at how he knows. "They come every once in a while but, the tonic Madam Pomfrey gave helps."

  He pauses for a bit. "But.. sir, how did you know about it?" 

  "Ah, I was the one who asked for you to be given that tonic," he croaks out with his voice airy, faintly scratchy yet, in a comforting way.

  The younger's mind begins to wonder. Why? Does he know about... the voices?

  But he prefers not to ask and instead, emits an, "Oh."

  "Now, is there anything you wish to tell me?" Dumbledore suddenly, asks and alarms Jeno. 

  Does the headmaster know? Should I tell? 

  "Actually, sir-" he starts and recalls Renjun's words when he told him and Mark about it as they were walking up the moving stairs last time.

  "Voices?" Mark repeats.

  "Yes, voices. Should I tell a professor about this?" Jeno asks.

  Renjun contemplates. "Hearing voices has never been a good sign, Jeno- whether in the wizarding world or the muggles'. I've read it in a documentary once."

  Mark and Jeno blink in confusion and exchange glances.

  "Okay... but, what exactly do you mean? Should he tell or not tell?" Mark queries.

  Renjun furrows. "Isn't it obvious? Of course, you should. It could be a bad omen and not telling would just make us unprepared if something terrible actually does happen."

   Jeno gulps and looks back up at the headmaster. "I've been hearing voices, sir. But it appears only I can seem to hear it. So... I'm not entirely sure if they're real or not."

  The professor's mien is unchanging and the student takes the opportunity to ask,

  "Is it....a bad thing?"

  Dumbledore only presents a warm smile after. "Well, we are not sure, of course. Until, we know what it is, let us just hope the best for all of us."

  Jeno replies back with his own smile but his heart knows that neither of them are very much sincere with it.