forty | seven

"Oh? Was there a party?" Selestia asks her son and nephew at the sight of their goodie bags. "Whose birthday was it?"

  The two boys sit at the dining table and put their sweets away.

  "It wasn't a birthday," Jaemin answers and his mother cocks up her thin brow.

  "It wasn't? Then, how did you get those gifts? Surely, judging from its qualities, it certainly is not from someone of the same house," she comments and hums in wonder.

  "It's from... Ama," Jaemin hesitantly answers and at the familiar name, the woman instantly cackles skittishly.

  Celestia waves her hand to her husband. "Darling! Come and see these sweet gifts that poor hufflepuff girl gave!"

  She grabs Donghyuck's bag but it's abrasively snatched away by the bitter lad.

  Hyuck glares frigidly at her. "Don't touch my stuff."

  The atmosphere weighs heavily with tension and his chair creates a large screech as he roughly shoves it out of his way.

  Jaemin and his parents watch him as he stomps up the stairs to his room. Lashing out has now become a routine for him everytime he comes home during the weekends.

  It doesn't faze them, anymore.

  "What's wrong with him? Does he have a little crush towards the mudblood?" Mingyu hisses, disgusted and loathing the idea itself.

  His son frowns. "He just had a bad day. After all, chool is torment for us. Everyone treats us like criminals."

  He mutters the last sentence but even if he did say it louder, his parents won't really care. They'd even congratulate him for it is a Black family tradition.

  "Whatever the case, steer away from the girl. She's of no use now. The dark lord's first attempt on eating her soul was unfortunately, for naught," the head of the house mentions and Jaemin processes his words.

  He snaps his head up to him. "Wait, first attempt? There's more?"

  "Well, of course, there is! He's the dark lord! The most powerful dark wizard of all time! He won't be defeated so easily," his mother giggles hysterically.

  Jaemin's fingers grip on his pants, perturbed and frankly, vexed at how his parents are so joyful about it. "But, I heard they destroyed the dark lord's belongings. How can he possibly return?"

  "Darling, the dark lord has more than two horcruxes, he has seven!" Mingyu exclaims and at that moment, Jaemin feels his heart crush and tumble.

  Seven...?

  "He's practically immortal!" Selestia cheers- overlooking her son's vehement dismay.

  Without notice, Jaemin brings the goodies from Ama with him and retreats to his room- feeling more and more sick the longer he stays in the same room as his parents.

  He reaches the top of the stairs and flinches at Donghyuck who stands outside his own room door- leaning against it with crossed arms and mien of indifference.

  But from the way his eyes are cast down towards the adults, it's obvious he's been eavesdropping.

  "Seven, huh? Two had been destroyed, five more to go," Hyuck says monotonously and emits a bitter scoff, almost contemptuous- lifting his gaze up to his cousin.
"Just face it, brother. This is our fate."

  He turns away and pushes his door open agape before being hindered by the other's voice.

  "That's ironic for you to say when you, yourself can't even face it. You're walking towards it blindly, Donghyuck. Even you can't accept but you're forcing yourself to," Jaemin remarks with clenched knuckles and crossed brows.

  Donghyuck, as like the other times, remain unresponsive and isolates himself in his room.