For You [2] - Chris Evans

You stirred awake as the person beside you shifted. Panic took over you and your eyes flew open. Looking to your side, you saw it was just Chris and relaxed as his arm draped across your waist in his sleep. You shifted in his arms and turn to face the clock, your back pressed against his chest. As you shifted, Chris had brought you closer to him, making your lips curl into a smile at the gesture as you read the clock.

It was about seven in the morning. As much as you wanted to wake the man next to you, you knew that he probably came home late. You had fallen asleep at the dining table at around eleven, making you assume he came around midnight or later. He was probably exhausted by the time he got into bed. You had heard from Sebastian and Scarlett that shooting had gotten harder as the movie progressed. Chris had done a stunt by himself and ended up with a small cut on his forehead.

You scolded him for about an hour on FaceTime before his manager came to get him for another scene. It was small, he said, but the scar was still visible throughout the calls.

You sighed lightly as you started to squirm out of his grasp, feeling the gut-wrenching in your stomach. You finally got out of his grasp and rushed to the toilet where you retched up your dinner. Feeling a little lightheaded, you sat next to the toilet for a few seconds. You flushed the toilet and started to brush your teeth. You mentally cursed yourself for being so stressed and closed off.

The tears pricked at your eyes as you felt the squeeze in your chest at the events that occurred a few days ago.

"She's gone. It was painless," your brother said in his broken voice. You felt the tears well up in your eyes as you thought of your mother. "You okay?" His voice was soft as it always was with you.

"I'll be fine," you whispered, trying not to let a sob escape. "How's dad and the others?"

"Dad's gone quiet. Nate's trying not to cry in front of us, but we all know how much mom meant to him. He's trying to be the strong older brother. Dayton and Dalton are, well, um, just as bad as the rest." He paused as whispers called his name. "Um, the funeral's next week. You'll be there, right?"

"Of course."

You decided not to tell Chris since he would come rushing back to support you. You didn't want him to ruin his career because of you. You didn't want him to be fined or get in trouble. Just for you.

You had actually thought of breaking things with him until you and your family issues were sorted out. You didn't want your family issues to become issues for him. It sounded selfish which was why you discarded the idea. You know how much he loves you. And you love him too, too much to leave him for your own selfishness.

You get ready and walked out the bathroom to see him still sleeping, snoring lightly. His blond-dyed hair was flattened against his scalp, the roots becoming darker as he grew out his hair. His arm that was draped over your torso, was now holding your pillow close to his body. You smiled at the scene and picked up your phone to take a picture.

You tucked the phone in your back pocket as you got an empty suitcase out. You would have placed it on the bed but Chris was taking up the space on the side closest to the closet, so you placed it on the floor. You started to pack, waiting for Chris to wake up.

When you looked at the time again it was quarter after nine and the sun had started to shine through the curtains. You heard Chris stir and you turned to face him. He smiled at you, mumbling a 'Good morning', before he noticed the suitcase behind you. His face fell, breaking your heart a little.

Chris knew that he was going to take a break with you but seeing you with a suitcase made his stomach drop. His throat went dry and a squeeze in his chest made him feel lightheaded. He thought maybe he was dreaming.

You watched his eyebrows furrow in confusion. You walked to sit down beside him and cupped his cheek. He leaned into your touch absentmindedly.

"Morning, baby," you said, kissing his forehead after moving his hair.

"Where you going?" His pained tone made the smile fall from your face. It made sense for him to be hurt. After all, he had just came back last night. You pulled your hand away from his cheek, taking the warmth away from him. You fiddled with your hands in your lap and looked down at them. You could feel Chris's eyes on you, bearing a hole into your skin. You sighed and started to tell him what happen.

"My, um, mother's funeral... James told me Monday. He, erm, said the funeral's this Wednesday, and---and I need to go." You stopped talking, unable to swallow the lump in your throat and stop tears that fell from your eyes. You felt Chris's arms wrap around you and rub your arms in comfort.

"Oh, love, I... why didn't you tell me?" He asked softly, kissing your temple.

"You would have left everything for me. I didn't want that for you," you whispered, your voice cracking at the end. Chris chuckled bitterly.

Here you were, thinking about his happiness and yesterday he was ready to break things with you, not thinking how you would feel. Right now, you needed him.

"I'm always here for you. Don't ever think about my career before yourself. You come first, then comes my career."

Yesterday he would have left you for you, but today he promised to stay. For you.

———

Just because @aimee7716 wanted it, so then I thought why not post it the day I wrote it? I hope you enjoyed.

Anyway, I'd say sorry for the sadness but I know I'm not because what's a good read without feels.

Until next time!