Vigilante - Steve Rogers

"I've got eyes on her!" Steve spoke into the comms, blending into the crowd with his casual wear. It was another day at Manhattan and the Avengers were down hunting another criminal. This time around however, the hunt was lasting longer than they had assumed. It was almost impressive at how you could hide from the Avengers. Tony and Sam had taken to the sky, searching for you overhead, while the rest were trying to search the area on the ground.

Steve had seen you sitting at the café, working on a laptop, like nothing was wrong. Like you weren't getting hunted down by the Avengers. The causality from your posture made him recheck whether or not you were the criminal they had been hunting down for months. It was you alright.

"Where the hell is she?" Sam asked Steve, still flying in the sky.

"In the café down by the museum," Steve answered, careful not to be seen as he fixed his baseball cap. He watched you sip on your coffee, scrunching your nose as your eyes were fixed on the screen. Your lips disconnected from the cup as you set it down and started to type away on your laptop.

"What the hell?" Bucky mumbled into the comms as he walked by the café, making eye contact with Steve. Steve nodded, telling Bucky that he could handle it for now.

As if on cue, you got up, closing your laptop and picking up the coffee, while Sam's static voice spoke into Steve's ear.

You had already hacked into the Avengers Tower, alerting the Avengers of your presence and the minor problems you caused in a company.

"Oh, shit—"

"His suit's malfunctioning," Tony said, obviously trying to stop Sam from falling from the sky. "Mine is going—"

"Both of their suits are malfunctioning, Captain," Wanda informed in her accent.

"Shit," Steve mumbled. He watched you walk towards the door and he knew that he had to do something before you left. It would be hard to trace you again.

He quickly formed a plan in his mind—no matter how risky or reckless it was—and he was putting it into action.

He grabbed his coffee and started to follow you out the door. He followed your steps, looking around every now and then to look casual. You stopped at the streets, waiting for the lights, and he took the chance. He kept walking and bumped into you, spilling his drink on your shoulder.

You yelped at the warm liquid drip down your shoulder and dropped your stuff as Steve quickly placed a tracker on your shoulder blade. He apologized and was quick to dart away from you. When you turned around, you were met with no one.

Sighing as you looked at the mess on your green shirt, you looked up and noticed that Tony Stark and Sam Wilson were talking, up on a building. Shaking your head as you smirked, knowing that you had hacked into Tony's and Sam's suit. They weren't going to be able to fly for a few more mintues, giving you the perfect time to escape.

———

"She's at an abandoned building. Just outside of the city," Natasha informed the team, green eyes darting around the screen. "Civilians are in the clear. I'm heading out."

"Alright, go in, and make sure you don't trigger any alarms or traps," Steve spoke as the team started to disperse.

"Gotcha, Cap," Sam spoke as he flew ahead.

"No problem," Bucky said, smirking at Steve. "I was a ghost for over fifty years. I'll be fine." Steve snorted and then became serious.

He nodded at Bucky who nodded back and started for the opposite direction.

A few minutes later, Steve found himself and the others in a small circular room with many computers and monitors. You were standing in the front of the screens, arms crossed, a light smirk on your face. You looked too calm for Steve's liking and knew that you had done something.

Steve took a footstep closer to you, but stopped at the clicking of your tongue.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," you said, uncrossing your arms. You leaned back, hands holding onto the desk behind you. "Unless you wanna go boom."

"She's got bombs scattered in the floor," Bucky mumbled, helping Steve catch up.

"She had everyone pile into the room, using traps of course," Natasha said, squinting at you. "Communications were cut off when you entered the room. No way to alert others."

"Yay. You know what's happening," you murmured, making jazz hands at your sides. "But I assure you, I didn't notice the tracker until I got halfway to my place. It was a nice way of saying hi, Captain, spilling coffee all over me." When Steve blushed, your lips curled into a bigger smirk.

"What the hell do you want?" Sam asked as Bucky said, "What you do to the kids?"

"One question at a time, please," you teased before answering both questions. "I don't want anything but get those kids home. So, Bucky, the kids right now are at home, not with me. They may be hurt, but I patched them up as much as I could and it wasn't me who hurt 'em."

The teams' jaws dropped. The biggest criminal they were hunting down for almost two years now, was helping them. Come to think about it, you never did do anything to hurt someone. Steve racked his brain as he thought through the things you did. The first case was something to do with robbing a bank, but it ended up being a secret drug dealing business. The second and third were the fake bomb implants, which helped them find three out of four Hydra bases. The fourth, he couldn't remember, but he knew that it brought the fourth Hydra base down. The next few helped them take down small threats that lingered, like O'Neil and his crazy experiment gone wrong.

"You're a vigilante," Steve breathed, eyes snapping up to meet yours.

———

This was posted on Tumblr first. Go follow me if you guys wanna. itsamarvelfan, same username as this one.

Until next time!