Long Time Love - Steve Rogers

The cool breeze swept his hair as he hummed to a song he couldn't remember the name of. His blue eyes flickered over the long distance from where he was standing, waiting, to where he would see the ones he loved would arrive. The days here were numbered after all.

As much as he fell in love with the place, he couldn't call it home. Not without people he called family. He wanted a few more minutes before sighing and turning to retreat to his home.

"Thinking about your family?"

His head whipped around, eyes looking for the voice's owner. His eyes fell upon the dark skinned girl he had come to love as a sister.

"Didn't know you'd be visiting," he said. Shuri grinned widely and started to walk towards him. Bucky stood where he was, waiting for her to reach him.

"I didn't either," she said, glancing at the goats. "I thought that maybe you wanted to be alone for once." Bucky pursed his lips.

"I had a sister. Her name was Rebecca," he said after a moment's hesitation. "You remind me of her sometimes."

The two fell into an awkward silence and Bucky felt as though he should apologize for dumping so much on the young teenager. But the more he thought about it, the less he thought it would mean to her. Surely after losing her father and almost losing her brother, she knew what he meant. Instead, he smiled at her and nodded his head curtly as he started to walk away.

Shuri watched his retreating figure before she headed back to the lab, hoping to figure out what she could do to make her blasters better.

———

"Rhodes!" You exclaim and run towards him, ignoring Secretary Ross completely. You threw your arms around him, careful since you didn't want to topple him over.

"She is retried," Secretary Ross said with a bitter tone. You pulled away with a smirk on your face.

"Was retried," you corrected, emphasizing on the 'was'. Rhodes covered his mouth, knowing that your wit was much like Tony's. "After taking down the threat and getting Tony back from space, I'm retried. Until you need me again." You gave him a mocking two finger salute to which he made a sour face.

You turned on your heels, knowing that Ross wouldn't give up just like that, but it would be a lost cause. You walked over to the tools and started to toy around with a gadget. It looked like a watch, but was much more complex than a regular one. Turning it over, you saw that Tony had etched his name into it. Your eyes shut close as the tears started to well up. Willing the tears and emotions to stay at bay, you tried to focus on the conversation Rhodes and Ross were having.

"Still no word from Vision?" Ross' cold voice came.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," Rhodes informed.

Your hand toyed with the watch as the conversation kept flowing.

"On a stolen Quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

Your breath caught in your throat. Natasha, Wanda, Sam, and... Steve. The emotions bubbles up in your throat again and this time it was harder to keep them from showing.

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?" Rhodes asked rhetorically. You could imagine Tony's laugh at that comment. You let out a sigh and put the watch back where it was before walking to Rhodes and Ross again.

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horseshit rivals my own," Ross said, eyeing you as you approached. You stuffed your hands into your long coat's pockets and stood quietly against your characteristics.