Love or Hate [2] - Steve Rogers

"Y/N, you in?" Sam asked into the comms.

"Yeah," you breathed, hoping that it seemed like a sigh to the people around you.

You were in a long red gown and a beautiful hair bun. It was off the shoulders and the neckline dipped in a bit, exposing a little cleavage. The torso was covered in silver jewels, creating patterns of flowers. The gown reached the floor and had a cut on the side up until over your knee. You wore silver heels and a silver jewellery set that Bucky got you for your birthday.

"Good," came Steve's stern voice. Steve had tried to make things up to you by doing small things.

"Y/N," Steve whispered from the doorway. He felt guilty and he knew that the only way to reduce that guilt was make it up to you. "Hey."

You refused to look at him and just stared at the TV. The sitcom you were watching had long flown through your head and now you were concentrating on the thoughts in your head.

"Don't do that," Steve said softly, pushing off the door frame. "Don't get in your head."

"I don't need you to care for me," you mumbled, eyes trailing over to him. His eyes were red and puffy, just as yours were.

"You can't tell me what to do," Steve snapped, catching you off guard. "I want to care." His tone was gentle again. "I have cared since I met you, I just thought that Bucky and you..."

You stopped the words that you were about to say and started another, hoping to get rid of the growing tension.

"You can try to care, but I'm not going to promise to be cooperative." He chuckled softly and shook his head, looking down before looking back at you.

"Never thought you would be." He started to make his way to your bed and pointed at the spot beside you. You nodded and he sat down.

"What's this crap you're watching?"

You snorted and answered, "It's a show. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

"What's it about?"

"I have eyes on Schulze," you mumbled into the comms. "Going to him."

"Make sure he doesn't suspect you," Steve said, speaking with firmness but a gentleness that he hadn't used on you until today.

"Breakfast?" Steve asked you.

"I usually just have coffee or tea," you answered, waving a hand dismissively. You took a seat on the island, waiting for Tony to finish making his coffee.

"Not cool. I'm gonna make you pancakes."

To say the team was shocked at your interaction was an understatement. Their eyes were wide open, compared to when they walked in sleepily, and their jaws were slacked.

"If you want," you mumbled, shrugging and putting your head down on the island.

"How dare you doubt my skills?" You teased, grinning.

"Y/N," Steve said, but it came out as a whine.

"Hello, sweetheart," Schulze greeted you, looking you up and down.

"Oh, hello." You scanned him up and down too. He leaned against the table and smiled at you seductively. You mentally rolled your eyes at how easy it was to get this man to be interested in you.

"What is a woman like you doing all alone?"

Steve would never admit it to you but the man's voice was enough to get his blood boiling.