A Golden Heart - Chris Evans

Warnings: fluff, angst, a bit of violence, scrapes and assault, cute Dodger
A/N: I'm sorry for not being able to post too much! I'm working on your requests and I promise I'm trying my best!
———

Offering to take care of Dodger while Chris filmed out of the country was the best thing you ever did. At least that's what it felt like. Chris had stared at you like you had solved climate change. Chris was thankful and wanted to show it so he had proposed the idea for you to stay at his house for the time he was gone. It wasn't like you weren't comfortable with his place, being there almost everyday and sleeping over a couple of times, but you agreed and went along, knowing that Dodger would feel a bit out of place in your neighbourhood. Plus, it would be even more difficult for Dodger to move back into Chris' after six months.

"Thank you so much again, darling," Chris sighed, sounding drained out and tired. You giggled and muttered out a 'it was nothing', expecting Chris to let the topic go and continue to tell you about how his shoot was going. But Chris added, "No, Y/N. I mean it. Taking care of Dodger isn't easy, and I speak from experience, so it's not nothing."

"Alright, alright," you mumbled, cheeks and ears heating up from his kind words. You heard his airy chuckle at your embarrassment. You rolled your eyes, hand scratching Dodger's head as he jumped onto the couch and laid his head in your lap. "Speaking of the angel..."

"He's laying his head on your lap, isn't he?" Chris guessed. You made a 'ding-ding-ding' sound and listened to Chris' genuine laugh. "Just like his dad, ain't he?"

"Sure is," you teased. "Gets the troublemaker abilities too, you know?"

Chris groaned, "What did he do this time?"

"Someone bumped into me and Dodger started to growl at him," you explained, watching Dodger's eyes dart to you before he let out a huff. "It was nice to see he had my back, though."

"Yeah, but still, Y/N," Chris sighed. You could imagine him running a hand over his face and scratching his scruff. "He was on a leash, wasn't he?"

You hummed and replied, "It's okay, Chris. I was only joking. I meant it when I said he's an angel." The two of you talked for a bit more, occasionally hearing people from Chris' end or Dodger's barks. When Chris yawned for the third time, you finally told him to go to sleep.

"But it's only, what? Seven there?" Chris argued, wanting to spend more time talking to you. He had made it pretty obvious from early on in your relationship that he loved your voice. He told you it was soothing and reminded him of being home. He had made you completely fall into the ditch of love at that point.

"Yeah and it's almost, what? Midnight there?" You countered lightheartedly with giggles.

"Alright, smart ass. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight. Love you and miss you," Chris slurred out, shuffling noises making their way to your ears.

"Goodnight, Chris. We miss you and love you too." With that you hung the call, knowing that Chris would refuse to be the one to cut it. You looked down at Dodger and tilted your head, eyes flickering up to note the time. "Wanna go on a walk, bud?"

At the question, Dodger jumped up and sprinted to his room—Chris insisted that Dodger deserved his own room and you happened to agree with that—coming back with his leash in his mouth. You chuckled and took it from him, easily putting it on him and watching him trot to the door. You followed his lead, slipping your feet into your shoes and checking your reflection quickly and grabbing your crossover. Once you were done, you let the door open and Dodger ran down the stairs, waiting at the sidewalk for you.