Café [1] - Sebastian Stan

You walked into the café, breathing in the familiar coffee smell which brought your first smile of the day. Your smile grew when you spotted your friend behind the cash register. She smiled at you and continued with the customer. You slipped behind the counter and started making your regular coffee after pulling on an apron. Your friend, Jasmin, was still taking the order of the customer as you put shots of coffee into your cup.

By the time she was done, you were sipping on your coffee and looking at the task board Jasmin put up. Even if you didn't work in the café, you were more than happy to help Jasmin. Jasmin was your best friend since childhood. She helped you out and vice versa. You started to help even more when she had her daughter, Claire, a few months after her husband died in a car accident.

"Don't tell me not to help," you said as Jasmin approached you with that look. She always tried to persuade you to not help out and said that she could manage. She rolled her eyes playfully at you. You sipped the last of your coffee and threw the cup into the trash.

"I'll make the orders while you take the orders," Jasmin told you, putting a hand on your forearm. "I already cleaned the tables."

You nodded and mumbled, "Just like always." She nodded and started to make the customer's order. You walked over to the cash register, only now noticing that only a few regulars were in line. You smiled and called the next person.

"The usual, Owen?" You asked, raising your eyebrows. The black-haired man in front of you smiled.

"You know it, [Y/N]," he replied, his green eyes darting behind you. You giggled, knowing who Owen was looking for.

"She's on your left, Owen." He blushed and grinned at you. "Your total is $7.24, like always." He slipped his credit card out and paid for his order. You continued taking orders as Jasmin prepared them for a few minutes before the line was completely gone.

A few people were seated on the tables and you smiled at the elderly couple who had just sat at their regular table. You walked over with their regular order and placed it in front of them.

"Thank you, my dear," Laura croaked out. You smiled and muttered a small 'no problem'. You scrambled back to the counter. You sighed as you went to the front where Jasmin was. She looked up from the cake she was making and sent you a smile. You smiled back.

"What's on your mind?" She asked you. You shrugged and shook your head, leaning on the counter where the cash register was. "Oh, come on. Tell me what's wrong?" You sighed knowing she wasn't going to let it drop.

"I quit my job," you told her with a shrug. She scoffed and turned her attention to her cake.

"That's great news, [Y/N]. You hated the job," she said, nonchalantly. "Like it matters anyway. You're a billionaire."

"Like that was mine, to begin with," you muttered.

You had inherited 16.3 billion dollars from your great-uncle. He was a great, rich man and apparently left his whole property for you. It had surprised you and your family. The second your family heard they started getting excited because you always gave them more important than yourself. You were surprised, but not excited. Not one bit. You didn't want that responsibility on your shoulders. You shut down the idea of even using the money for no good reason. Your family had been upset to say the very least. They told you you were making a horrible decision. You ignored their sayings and didn't use the money.

The plan of not using the money at all, lasted about four years.

Everything went downhill when Jasmin showed up at your house---which you bought with your own money---six months pregnant with nowhere else to go. You adjusted to the two of you, adding the money that Noah, Jasmin's husband, and Jasmin had left. Then Claire arrived and that's where it went down. Your job wasn't paying enough for your rent and payments so you had to use that money. You never used it more than you had to. You used it in this café, but it was worth it.