Didn't Need Him - Bucky Barnes

The wind whipped his hair out of place, trees rustling violently. He ran a hand through his hair, trying to fix it as much as he could, but the wind swept it to the side again. He sighed, exhausted from trying. He clenched his fists, feeling the shot of coldness shooting up his arm. His eyes darted to the door as he took confident steps towards it. The sun was hiding behind clouds, shining through faintly. He looked up once, smiling to himself as he thought of you, the only girl he wanted to see.

Loving you was easy, but getting to you was harder.

He felt his heart clench slightly as he thought of the past two years. He retried, refusing to keep up with the superhero life and watch others sacrifice themselves while he lived. After the death of Tony and Natasha, he had moved away, trying to start a new chapter in his life. One that didn't include death, violence, blood, and mental abuse. He gave it all up, giving the shield to Sam, who was doing an amazing job at being the new Captain America.

But one thing he hadn't quite wanted to give up was you. You still wanted to help people you didn't know, saying that Tony and Natasha didn't give their lives up for them to give up. He couldn't lie; you were very persuasive. If it hadn't been for his stubbornness, he would've stayed. He had given you his number, telling you to call him whenever you needed him, but he knew that wouldn't be for a while.

You had been furious with Steve when he left. Screaming at him about all the promises he made to you about never leaving your side. He had listened quietly, even going the distance and looking at least a bit remorseful. You had thrown his stuff into his suitcase, saying that you weren't together anymore, and then gave to him, almost taking the life out of him. He had never seen you so broken, but Bucky had been there and he said that he would take care of you.

And Steve trusted that. He trusted that Bucky would take care of you, which had given him the strength to push away from you. He spent his time in a small town in Brooklyn, so he wasn't far and expected you to visit, but you didn't. You didn't call him either, only once. You had called him just a few days ago that made him come here to meet you and the others—mostly you.

"Steve?" Your voice was still as soft as a feather and sweet like honey.

"Y/N," Steve sighed, finally feeling as if a huge weight was lifted from his chest.

It had been almost two years since he heard your voice, only seeing your face through a picture and sometimes from a FaceTime call with Bucky. You would be walking in the back, looking brighter than ever. A fresh aura around you that he had never seen before. You would turn and smile at him before getting back to whatever you were doing. It hurt just a bit that you didn't talk to him, but Bucky told him you were doing much better. He believed it.

"Are you okay?" He asked when you didn't speak.

"Yeah. Bucky's forcing me to call you," you breathed out, a slight crack in your words. "Bucky and Sam are a huge help. He's doing great, by the way. Sam, I mean, as Captain America."

"As good as me?" He teased and could imagine the slight smile creeping up on your face.

"Even better than you." It was teasing tone, but there was something more to your words that he didn't like.

"I'm sorry. I love you."

You hung up after a long second.

He tried to call you back but you didn't answer your phone. He tried Bucky's and quickly asked about you.

"She's—" Bucky got cut off with a small sob and Steve knew that you were crying. On Bucky's shoulder. Steve wanted to rush to you and give his shoulder to cry on, but he stopped his urge and gripped the armrest on his couch. A pang of jealousy hit his chest at Bucky's next words. "I'm here, doll."