Listening To You - Bucky Barnes

Warnings: violence, blood, graphic cut mentions
A/N: I had this in the drafts for so long so here you go!
———

Bucky limped to your room door and knocked softly, knowing you were awake worrying about his well-being. In all honesty, he wasn't ready for you to be waiting for him. He knew that you considered him your best friend since your first encounter. You were new to the area and Bucky happened to go to the cafe that you discovered your first week in Manhattan, desperate to find a decent coffee. Bucky had seen your credit card slip out from your purse when you were leaving. He had grabbed it and ran after you, giving it back with a mumbled no problem.

It was then he noticed how pretty you were. And he knew he wanted more, but you weren't ready. You told him about your messy break up on the way to your apartment—he had offered to walk you, wanting to know a bit more about you—and how that was the reason you moved to Manhattan in the first place. Bucky had smiled and nodded, saying how unfortunate the guy was to have lost a gal like you. You had gotten flustered and tugged your coat closer as you sipped on your coffee. He was a goner right there and then, but it was only friendship. He didn't want to make a move then and, even a year later, he was still just a friend.

He leaned his shoulder against the wall beside your door, letting out a relieved sigh when you opened the door, wearing one of his hoodies and leggings. You gaped at him, cuts and bruises littering his face and any inch of skin you could see. Your eyes darted to his stomach, a long wound bleeding into his suit. You didn't say anything, biting your lip and reaching out to touch his face gently. You pulled away after seeing him wince.

"I won't break, doll," he mumbled, pushing off the wall and following you inside. You led him to the kitchen, patting the counter as you moved to grab the first aid kit from one of the cabinets. He groaned as he pushed himself onto the counter, knowing very well that you were going to scold him. You placed the first aid kit beside his body, eyes scanning over him to see if there was a wound bigger than the one on his torso.

"Take off the top," you instructed, opening the kit and getting out some cotton and rubbing alcohol.

"If you wanted to see me naked, you could've just asked," Bucky joked, trying to emit a smile or giggle. He didn't like to see the tension in your shoulders or the pinch between your eyebrows or the way your lips pulled down ever so slightly at the ends. He liked the soft smile on your face with crinkles beside your eyes. He watched you huff out a breath and come close, standing between his legs to unzip the suit. He held his breath as you slowly peeled the suit open, running a gentle hand down his chest to the wound.

"What did you do?" You asked, not daring to touch his wound. It was jagged, blood pouring out of it slowly. You took the rubbing alcohol bottle and dabbed a bit onto a big cotton ball, gently cleaning the tip of the wound. Bucky hissed as the wound started to sting. "Sorry! Sorry. Sorry, Jamie." You had pulled away the second he hissed, looking up at him with alarmed eyes.

"It's—It's fine, doll," he whispered, smiling painfully. "Should've went to the medical wing the second I got back—"

"Why didn't you?" You shook your head, resting a hand over his wound and bringing the cotton back to the wound. "And why are you so reckless, Bucky? You do know it's only your arm that can't get hurt, right? The rest of you isn't vibranium. If you get hit, it's going to hurt. You can't just walk into a fight, thinking you're going to be just fine because you can stop a bullet from hitting your face with your hand. The rest of you is vulnerable, Bucky.

"But that doesn't stop you, does it? You might be the most stubborn person I know. Has Steve told you all of this? Of course he has, he's your best friend. You probably aren't even listening to me—"

"I'm listening to you, doll." Your eyes snapped up to his, suddenly aware of the way his gaze was wandering around your face and how close your faces were to each other. His lips parted in plea, your name whispering out into the silence. His eyes flickered to your lips, tongue darting out to wet his lips. "Y/N, can I kiss you?"

At your curt nod, Bucky cupped the back of your head, tilting it to the side before slotting his lips against yours. You felt your heart skip a few beats and butterflies erupt inside as if this was your first kiss. In a way, it was; it was your first kiss with Bucky. The Bucky who you had been in love with since the first day, even if you didn't know it then. You pulled away, trying to get some oxygen into your lungs when you felt your head get dizzy. You knew that Bucky could survive a few minutes more without oxygen than you.

"Wow," he breathed out, leaning his forehead against yours, chuckling at the little hum you produced. "I need to know if you—"

"I think you know," you interrupted, a shy smile on your face. He almost melted at the sight, maybe he physically did when he felt his shoulders sag.

"I wanna hear it, babydoll. The three words." He watched your cheeks rise up with a grin and eyes crinkle on the sides, his favourite sight coming to view.

"I love you, Bucky."

"I love you too, Y/N."