Universal Crush [5] - Bucky Barnes

You looked at Bucky with narrowed eyes. Your heart was pounding in your ears as he stepped closer to you. You could barely register that you got out of your chair and took a step away from him. You couldn't even hear yourself properly when you spoke.

"Not the time for jokes, Barnes."

Bucky looked down at the ground for a second before looking back up at you.

"I'm not joking, Y/N," he mumbled, hand reaching into his pocket. He seemed to grip something as he spoke. "If this doesn't work—"

"You don't think this is going to work?"

"God, no! It will!"

"So you want me gone?"

"No, I don't want—"

"So you want me to stay?"

"Yes, no." Bucky let out a sound of frustration and glared at you. "Let me talk."

"Okay," you whispered, hugging your torso. He glanced at the other men in the room and started to speak, looking right into your eyes.

"I don't know if this'll work or not. Neither do I know whether I want it to or not. What I do know is that my doppelgänger, the Bucky you know, is a fucking jerk." You let out a giggle, making a smile bloom on Bucky's face for a second. "I'm not him and your not... her." The tension grew in the room as he kept going. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," you said after a moment of silence. Bucky smiled sheepishly at you and scratched the back of his neck— something he did when he was nervous.

———

"Okay, the machine is ready, but we don't know if it'll work or not," Bruce said, tapping on his tablet that was connected to the machine. "Using the Pym Particles we altered to travel dimensions, we have a better chance."

You nodded and said, "It's fine."

It had been almost a week since you were here and spent time with the team.

"What the—" Sam walked into the lounge room with takeout. His eyes widened and he shook his head. "I'm not going crazy today." He looked at the others and then right at you. You smiled shyly and waved your hand a little, uneasy with the whole situation.

"Hey," you said softly. Bucky seemed like he was going to piss his pants trying not to laugh. You glared at him, but he kept grinning like a fool.

"Explain please," Sam sighed, putting the takeout on the table.

And so you explained the whole situation to Sam. And then Natasha. And then Wanda who told Vision since you really didn't want to repeat it again.

"So you're gonna go back, huh?" Natasha had asked when you told her. You had hesitated, thinking about all the people who would miss you when you left. She had taken the hesitation as an answer and had smirked.

"I'm ready," you said, nodding to Bruce and Tony. You looked over at the rest of team, who had gathered up to say goodbye to you for the second time. The hurt faces felt like a stab to your heart.

"Wanda, pass me the sugar," you said, stirring the batter you were making for the team. She came over and placed it on the counter. You saw her look into the bowl and you decided that you could smear some of the batter on her face.

She looked shocked, but quickly recovered and reached into the bowl, sipping her finger in, eyes glinting with mischief.

"Wanda, no," you said, grinning. She smeared the batter on your cheek and started to laugh, running to the other side of the island where you could reach her.

You watched Tony power up the machine.

"Tony," you sang as you walked into the lab. Tony sighed and looked up at you.

"What?" He asked quickly. You crossed your arms and glared at him.

"Sleep," you commanded sternly. He leaned back into his office chair and shook his head.

"No." You shrugged and walked towards Tony's desk, reaching for the phone.

"I'm sure Pepper would love to hear that," you sneered.

Tony grabbed your wrist and said, "Blackmailer."

Bucky was the one your eyes starched for when you stepped onto the platform of the machine.

"You loved her a lot, didn't you?" You asked when you heard Bucky's quiet footsteps behind you. You were watching the stars twinkle in the dark sky, sitting on a blanket, wondering about random things. Bucky sighed and took a seat next to you.

"Yeah, a lot," he mumbled, raw emotion lacing the words. "She really enjoyed stargazing." He chuckled softly.

"I do too," you said softly. "I guess we aren't all different." You felt Bucky's eyes on you so you started to talk about the stars. "It's so beautiful."

"It is." You looked over at him and saw he was looking right at you.

"It's malfunctioning!" Bruce shouted over the ruckus. You quickly ran off the platform as you felt a sharp pain go through your leg. You let out a yelp and fell to the ground. Two strong arms wrapped around you, picking you up and placing you on a table.

"You alright, doll?" Bucky whispered, blue yes flooded with concern. His heart was racing faster than ever, not wanting to lose you twice.
He wanted you to stay.

"My leg," you mumbled, looking at him with wide eyes. The love and concern that he held for you made you melt.

You wanted to stay.

He quickly looked down and noticed the large gash on it. The sight of it making him sick to his stomach.

You noticed and placed your hand on his cheek gently. Your touch made him look up at you. He unconsciously leaned into your touch, making you smile. You ran your thumb over his  cheekbone and kissed his head.

"I'm staying. With you." Bucky smiled widely and you felt your heart stutter.

Yeah, you weren't going to regret it.

———

And that's all folks! This mini series was a request by @Voltrondragoncat06 and I loved writing it. Requests are still open and I'm still accepting dialogue prompts from the ones I posted.

Until next time!