Meeting him again years after your breakup - Chan

3 years had passed since then. Since the day Chan broke up with you right before he left for Australia. That day broke your heart, shattering it into tiny little pieces that can't be fixed. You understood why he did it though. His mom had gotten sick with a rare disease and he wanted to be by her side since she may not make it in the end. You hoped the best for him and his family, wanting nothing but him to be happy.

You still remember the day he asked you out. It was in high school, your junior year. Everyone liked him, after all, who wouldn't? He was nice, smart, and fun. But you? You were very different. You had just transferred to the school and wasn't great at making friends. So you were alone for a while, and began to get bullied. Since you were the new girl, they thought it'd be fun to pick on you.

They made you feel small, like an outsider. Continuously forcing you to do things they wanted, calling you names because of how you looked, embaressing you in front of everyone else all the time. You would run away and cry your eyes out when you had the chance. They wouldn't leave you alone and the horrific cycle had you empty. Just a puppet on strings, made for them to play with all they want.

But then Chan stepped up. He stopped them from going any further and you were thankful. You've never been so relieved in your life. For once, you felt safe. You felt safe with him.

And since then, he looked out for you. He would invite you to eat with him at lunch and would make sure that the bullies wouldn't come near you again. After some time, you grew feelings for him. You thought that he didn't like you the same way so you kept quiet about it. But then he confessed. He confessed to you, and your heart leapt. Then you finally started to date.

But once you both graduated, he had to break the news to you. You thought that you would still be together, even if he was in a totally different country. You both tried. You would call him every day and would talk about how it's going in Korea. He'd do the same and you believed that your relationship could still work out. Until he said those 3 words.

"Let's break up."

And that was the last thing he ever said to you before he hung up. You didn't dare contact him since you were too broken knowing the fact that you were over. Now you were attending your 3rd year of University, and you couldn't forget about him, even after all these years.

Not gonna lie, you missed him. A lot. You would do anything to see him again. But you knew the chances were slim. For all you know, he could still be Australia.
______________

"Why did I come here?" You stared blankly at your's and Chan's love lock back when he brought you to N Seoul tower for a date.

There was no one around, only you. The view was as beautiful as ever and the written message on the lock made tears fall from your eyes.

"Chan + y/n ♡

I wrote your name in the sky, but the wind blew it away. I wrote your name in the sand, but the waves washed it away. I wrote your name in my heart, and forever it will stay.

I hope we can come back here together and remember this moment, because I know I will keep loving you and propose to you some time in the future. I can't wait until the day I can call you Mrs. Bang~"

But that day never came, and it never will. He had left you, all alone, and all by yourself. Sadly smiling, you touched the lock, rubbing your thumb across his name.

"I should head home now. If I stay any longer I'll end up crying until tomorrow."

You turn around and that's when your heart stopped. Stuck in your spot, you couldn't move.

There was no way. It couldn't be real. This couldn't be happening.

The man standing across from you couldn't be him.

"Y-y/n..."

That voice. You haven't heard it in so long. Oh how you've missed his gentle honey-like singing, or his incredible talent in producing music. Everything came back to you the moment he spoke your name.

"Chan...." your voice cracked but you didn't care. The only thing that mattered was the fact that here he was, looking into your eyes with that soft look. The one that made your heart beat so fast. "What are you d-doing here..."

"I... I came back from Australia," he smiles, but you could see that he was nervous.

"But you didn't tell me? You could've called you know...."

"I couldn't bring myself to do it.. I was too scared to hear from you...."

"Why?" You sniffled, tears pouring down your cheeks like a waterfall. "Why were you scared to hear from me?"

Chan took a few steps towards you and held your hand, his touch that you've only dreamed about made your breath hitch.

"I was scared that if I did, I'd want to get back together with you..."

"You... d-dont wan't to try again?"

"History will repeat itself y/n.... Look, this is hard for me to say... but I'm not staying in Korea... I only came here to sell my old house and pack everything because..." Chan took in a deep breath before looking down, unable to meet your eyes.

"...because I'm going to live in Australia permanently."

And just like that, your world came crashing down.

"You're... you're not staying?"

"No.... I'm really sorry..." He chews his bottom lip, holding back the urge to cry.

"Chan," you pull your hand out of his grip only to place them on his cheeks, making him look at you. "Do you still love me?"

You didn't know why you asked him that question. It was like you wanted to hear that phrase from him. The phrase you haven't heard for so long.

His eyes widened and he gulps, not knowing if he should answer or not.

"Chan-ah, do you still love me?"

You found yourself smiling, but you knew it was to cover up the pain and sadness. It hurts. Nothing ever hurt so much.

"I... I don't love you.."

He was lying. You could tell by the way he hesitated. But you thought that it'd be better if he told you that he no longer loves you because it'd be easier for you to move on.

"You don't love me?" You ask once more, wanting the sentence to sink in.

"N-no... I don't love y-you..."

Chan began to cry, hiccuping every now and then while his hands shake violently.

"Well then, I'll stop loving you now. But I want you to know that I'm thankful for everything you've done. I won't find anyone else like you Chan. And I really love you, but if you don't love me back, then I'll try to let you go."

You slowly took your hands away from his face until he suddenly pulled you in by the waist.

"One last time. Let me kiss you o-one last time..." he pleaded, his chest clenched at the thought.

He didn't want for your relationship to end. It's just that he doesn't believe you'll be okay with a long distance relationship. It'll crumble down into bits and pieces, so that's why he ended it 3 years ago. Because he didn't want you to suffer while waiting for him until his arrival. He thought that you deserved better. A guy who could always be there for you, right by your side. But him? He couldn't do that.

As he presses his lips onto yours, you could feel his sadness and frustration pour into you. Just from that one kiss, you understood what he was going through. How much he wanted to stay with you, but couldn't. His family is what's important right now. So he has to say goodbye to the love of his life. Forever.