One summer's day - Chan

One summer's day, you fell in love with a complete stranger. You didn't know his name. You didn't know if he knew you either. But after that drunk night of staring back at the universe, your heart never settled for another besides him.

────── 〔✿〕──────

"I'm heading outside for a bit. I need some air. This place reeks of alcohol and I've had enough already. If you need me, I'll be by the shore," you waved your friends goodbye.

Leaving the bar, you headed towards the nearby beach. It was already 8:00 pm, but the cool breeze welcomed you warmly. This was exactly what you needed. The tiny rocks entering your sandals as you stared longingly at the vast ocean sparkling under the moonlight. Without an utter care in the world, you spread your arms and fell onto your back with a thud against the powder-covered floor. Your hair mixed into the sand.

"Ha..." You exhaled, closing your eyes to forget the world for just a moment. The sound of the waves coming and going filled the atmosphere. This was your lullaby.

But before you could doze off into a different reality, a chuckle echoed through the air and gained your attention.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to interrupt you. It looked like you were enjoying yourself a lot, I just thought it was interesting how someone could seem so... free." The man smiled as you opened your eyes to see him.

Even though he appeared upside down and it was pitch black out, you could tell he was handsome. But that alone wasn't enough to make you feel anything out of the ordinary — not yet.

"If it's not a problem, may I join you?"

"Sure, go right ahead. This emptiness needed something to fill in its void anyway. Perhaps you could keep me company for tonight," you answered with interest.

Walking closer to where you rested peacefully, he laid down beside you. There was a calm silence for a while. Both of you stared at the stars in the sky, waiting for something in the far universe to happen. Wanting to witness a change in this ever-lasting cycle of life and death. Back to where it began: out there.

"Do you go stargazing like this often?" He asked, voice overlapping the waves washing the shore.

"No. Most of the time I'm caught up in studies so chances like these almost never happen. I was lucky to finally have a night with friends where I could just disappear from the world for a little bit, but I ended up drinking too much alcohol and so I needed to breathe. That's why I'm here. What about you? What's your reason for coming here this late by yourself?"

"Me?" His tone was surprised but also interested at the conversation you were having together. "I sometimes feel like the darkness won't allow me to get an easy sleep, and when that happens, I go somewhere where the atmosphere is spacious and comfortable. I happened to think of the beach because summer's here."

You hummed at his response. It was weird how you felt like you completely understood every emotion behind his words. Not that you understood what he was going through, but that you knew what it was like for him to go through these things he speaks of. You get it — you get him. Yet at the same time you had no idea who you were talking to.

"Do you have..."

"Insomnia?" he finished for you. "Yeah. I've had it for a while now. It sure does take a toll on my health. Some nights I go crazy trying to block all the thoughts out."

"That sounds awful. I'm sorry," Your voice softened into above a whisper.

"No need to be sorry. In fact, talking to someone casually about it in a place so beautiful really eases all the stress I have. I might even be able to fall asleep when I return home, so thank you."