In love with your best friend who has a girlfriend - Chan

"You're going to the tryouts for the girls volleyball team after school, right?" Chan asked as you both sat under a tree during lunch break.

"Uh... I don't know," you said, unsurely. "I like volleyball and it seems nice to play, but what if I'm not good enough? It's been 2 years since I last tried and I don't want to be humiliated like that ever again."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Besides, it's all for fun! Not making the team isn't that important, enjoying yourself is," he smiles and places a hand on your shoulder.

His words made your worries quietly disappear. Now, you might just think about participating after all.

"Thanks for the encouragement."

"No problem."

"You're doing tryouts for the boys team tomorrow too, aren't you?" You raised a brow.

"Yep. We can do this! I believe in us, especially you, y/n," he gave you a thumbs up, to which you nod in return.

Suddenly, the weather became a lot less warm. Grey clouds began to roll in from the south and it brung a chilly breeze along the way.

You shivered at the change in temperature, only wearing a simple t-shirt because the forecast showed sunny in the morning.

"You cold? Here, I have another sweater in my bag," Chan pulled out a black drawstring hoodie and handed it to you.

Without a second to spare, you put it on, immediately feeling a sense of relief and mellow heat-although for two separate reasons.

The scent of familiar cologne reached your nose almost instantly and you hugged yourself closer to the soft fabric, knowing how much larger it fit on you.

It's warm, you thought.

If only he knew that he gave you butterflies. But sadly, there was already someone to make him feel that in return-

"Chan!" The melodious voice rang throughout your eardrums, and both of you looked up.

There she was. As always.

"Oh, Mika! There you are," he motioned for her to come over and sit next to him.

His eyes. They glowed whenever she was around. You've realized for a while now. She was the only one who could do that-who could be his whole world.

You subconsciously frowned, and even though you were supposed to hide your sadness, you knew he was too busy to notice.

"Hi y/n!" she happily waved to you.

You did your best to seem unaffected by her presence but the awkward smile said otherwise. You hated how nice she was, so much so, that hating her was impossible. It was frustrating. You've always wanted to be in her place, but such a kind soul couldn't make you jealous.

And of course, she didn't mind the hesitant behaviour. If anything, she was already used to it and tried not to make you any more uncomfortable. But she didn't know the reason why. She probably thought you just didn't like her. No, never. You were simply in love with her boyfriend.

So, she continued to be her cheerful self, and before you knew it, they kissed.

As if your heart hasn't felt enough pain for the past few months when they started to date. And no, it hurt just as much the other times.

They stared at each other like you weren't there anymore, stuck in their own universe for minutes until you were tired of it. You got up, sighed, and then left.

"Ha... I need to move on from him..."

•••

You crossed your arms on your bedroom desk, resting the side of your head against it. When you closed your eyes, the scene kept replaying again and again.