When he almost kills you in handball - Hyunjin

"Great job on warm-ups everyone! Now, I will be splitting you all into four teams. Once you get a color, go to the corners with the pinnies and put one on," Mr. Kang instructed cheerfully.

As he went around giving roles to each person, he eventually stopped at you.

"Yellow."

You simply nodded and got up. After everyone had been assigned to a group, Mr. Kang continued explaining the game a little further.

"We'll split the gym in half, so two games will be happening at the same time. Understood?"

A girl beside you raised her hand. This was a new semester so you haven't memorized your classmates names except for the few you knew, but you believed her name was Haerim.

"Mr. Kang, we only have 5 people on our team — Green has 6."

He takes a look at you and your opponent, before counting the red and blue team on the other side of the gym, noticing a flaw.

"Hey, you. I'm pretty sure I gave you yellow, not red. Change over since you guys have one too many."

The guy nods silently before making his way over to your group.

"And one more thing," he adds, pointing to his ears. "No earbuds in during P.E, okay?"

Soon after, the teacher gave the signal to start. Handball was simple; get the ball in the goal at the other side, while only taking 3 steps if the ball is in your possession. It's been a while since you last played, but you remember it being quite simple.

The first few minutes in, and you were winning. You weren't a good thrower, but you were definitely the best at catching. And then there was Hyunjin, the guy who was the last addition to your team. He was the completely opposite: strong thrower, terrible at catching. The rest of the group was in-between. But when you and him worked together, you were quite powerful, with him accurately tossing the ball all the way from one end of the court, to you at the other. And from there, the points came easy.

The clock was ticking closer to the end time before the match was over. You wanted your team to score the last point. Haerim had the ball. She passed it to Hyunjin, and you backed away further, raising a hand to get him to notice. Usually, it wouldn't have been a problem, but this time, there were two people guarding him from a clear shot. He was struggling to manage with their bodies in his path.

"Y/n!!"

You prepared for him to throw the ball to you, when instead of catching it, the object went flying at your face faster than you could blink. There was no time to move out of the way. It was right in front of you.

Completely startled by how hard he had launched the ball, you shut your eyes and stepped backwards, waiting for impact. But there was no collision, not to your body at least.

It had grazed the shell of your ear, continuing in its direction immediately past you and bouncing off the floor. The sound of it crashing down against the ground was loud enough for anyone to tell that if it had hit a person, they would be in for the pain.

You opened your eyes after realizing you were okay, and let out a shaky breath you didn't remember holding in. Everyone in the gym had heard the noise, looking over in the process.

Now, Hyunjin usually kept quiet during classes, always having earbuds in and a cap on. He sort of owned this chill vibe by himself. You never took him for the energetic kind of guy, or at least, you've never heard him talk much. But at that moment, his voice projected itself towards you, so loud that you didn't believe it was coming from him.

"I AM SO SORRY!! ARE YOU OKAY?!" He ran over and checked on you with his mouth agape.

Seeing him worried, or just in a state that wasn't calm, was shocking. He made the situation appear way more dramatic than you took it to be.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. It didn't hit me or anything so you're good," you giggled, enjoying his wide eyes that switched between you and where the ball laid. The game had stopped because all players were too focused on what was happening between you two.

"Are you sure? I swear I didn't mean to throw it that hard! It was an accident," he continued to explain, before another guy joined in, chuckling.

"Hey, Hyunjin. You're supposed to pass to your teammates, not kill them!"

The comment made you laugh. Hyunjin was once again apologizing. The poor boy never seemed to catch a break after the incident, but you found it quite funny. He made sure to be more gentle when throwing afterwards. But to be completely honest, you felt somewhat interested in him. Besides that being your guys's first interaction and his cold appearance melting away in a second, it was obvious he looked attractive. Though you doubt it was his appearance that made your heart race.

•••

You were on your way back home from school, then stopped when waiting for the crosswalk. Usually there would be a massive group standing by the button but this time since you got off of class a bit late, there was only you and one other girl. Her name was Leigh; she was in your class last year, but you've never really talked. So there you both stood, in a quiet silence filled with the sound of rushing tires passing by.

You were a little impatient to get home. Gym had made your legs tired and almost got your face obliterated, so collapsing on a couch seemed like the best experience in the world right now. Why was the light taking so long to turn red??

As you were busy complaing to yourself inside your head, a figure walked in front of you. That figure made you completely forget what you were upset about. But before you knew it, he stopped beside Leigh.

"Hey," he casually greeted, hands in pockets.

"Oh, hey Hyunjin," she showed a smile.

Your eyes watched them, but you couldn't hear the rest of what they were saying due to the cars driving by. They seemed to be close though. You'd be lying if you said you didn't feel a little bitter at the sight.

And then the light turned red. They walked in front of you, going straight, while you took a left after crossing. You were staring at the two, unconsciously focused on what they were to each other.

They're just friends. Stop being jealous already.

But then he waved goodbye and turned left towards you. Well, he didn't look at you. He probably didn't even notice you were there. He just walked straight ahead, while you followed slowly behind.

What was strange was that you've never seen Hyunjin take this path home before. You would have remembered because there were only few that went this way. Soon enough, he walked into your cul-de-sac. You were beyond confused.

Your house was only a few meters away, so you just continued heading there, pretending you weren't constantly eyeing the boy in front of you. It was when you walked up your driveway did he finally say something.

"Hey, y/n?"

You stopped and slowly looked back at him. He smiled. Your heart fluttered for a second.

"I'll try not to hit you in the face next time," Hyunjin chuckled softly, rubbing the back of his nape in embaressment.

You laughed too. Why was he so damn cute?

"Thanks, but if there is a next time, I'll be ready to catch it."

He was surprised by your answer, but nodded.

"Alright, bet."

And that was how a mere accident turned into a competition between two fiery souls.