One

The train jolted which made my glasses slip forward on the bridge of my nose. I pushed them up and turned the page of the book I was reading. A loud thud against the compartment door made me jump and look over. The door slid open and a familiar head of hair peeked through. My brother, Jack. And then his girlfriend, Roslyn, peeked in.

"Oh Millie, I'm glad it was you." Jack said. His hair was a mess and his cheeks were flushed.

Roslyn's face was a bright shade of pink and she was avoiding eye contact.

"What were you..." I started but shook my head. I didn't want to know.

Jack just laughed and opened the door more and walked in. He sat on the opposite seat and pulled Roslyn next to him. I avoided rolling my eyes by just putting my focus back into my book. I like Roslyn she's sweet, and she spoke her mind which I find difficult to do.

They were perfect for each other honestly, I was happy for him but it didn't help me feel any less lonely. We were in different houses as well. Him in Slytherin, and me, a Hufflepuff. We were pretty different. Our parents are both muggles so it's always been hard to fit in. We had each others backs but it's different now that he has Roslyn. I'm even more alone and it's rough, but I've hung on this far. What could go wrong now?

"Mil, where's your friends?" Jack asked.

"Hm? Um, I don't know, I think they were late getting on the train."

Jack nodded and started a conversation with Roslyn which resulted in many flirty remarks. I finished my book and eventually had nothing to do but look out the window. The scenery was beautiful and it helped me drift off into a daydream.

-

Once we arrived at Hogwarts we all got off the train and headed towards the castle.

"Amelia!" A voice chimed.

I looked back towards the voice and smiled. My best friend Maggie smiled back at me and walked up to me. I hugged her tightly realizing how much I really missed her.

"How've you been? Did you have a good summer?" She asked.

I nodded. "I did, what about you?"

She smiled and nodded.

"It was pretty good, but I'm glad to be back."

"Me too."

We followed the rest of the students into the school and the familiar old smell of the castle embraced us. We all sat in the great hall awaiting Dumbledore's familiar speech. He introduced a new professor from the ministry or something. She gave me a bad feeling. She looked like a grandma who had gone off the deep end.

As me and Maggie walked out to get to our common room I ran into something. Or someone. All I saw was black and then...blonde? A sudden chorus of laughter rang through the air. A group of Slytherins surrounded me and I realized I had fallen on my butt. The infamous Draco Malfoy stood over me with a smirk on his face that soon turned into a scowl when he made eye contact with me.

"Watch where you're going." Malfoy spat.

Maggie hurriedly helped me up to my feet and I stood awkwardly blowing a curl out of my face. I glared at him but stayed quiet. I never have anything witty to say.

"You're a jerk Malfoy." Maggie huffed.

I nudged her and shook my head. I didn't want to make the situation any worse.

"Who asked you?"

He grabbed his goons and turned away walking out without saying anything else.

"Are you ok?" Maggie asked.

I nodded and brushed myself off.

"I'm fine."

We went to our common room and Maggie did her best trying to get me to forget what happened. However, it was still bugging me when I tried to fall asleep that night. How could someone be so stuck up that they couldn't even apologize.