Twenty One

I was able to produce a patronus after about fifteen tries. It's a hummingbird and it zips around my head quickly and I giggle when it flies into Neville's hair. 

He bats it out of his hair and smiles at me.

"Good job Millie!" 

"Thanks Neville, good job to you too, you'll get it soon."

Neville was struggling to produce a patronus. Was he having a hard time to think of a happy memory? For me, I thought about my family and our picnics on the beach. But what was Neville trying to think of? 

"Have you tried thinking about Herbology?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "Maybe that would work."

"Think about how proud you're making your family."

He seemed to flinch at that and looked down at the ground. I must've struck a chord mentioning his family. He was always pretty private about it. 

"Neville? You ok?" I walked closer to him and put my hand on his arm.

Then he told me about Bellatrix Lestrange. What she'd done to his parents. 

The color drained from my face. This whole time, Neville was suffering in silence. Alone.

I never wished the killing curse on anyone but for Bellatrix? Yeah I'd avada kadavra her ass.

I didn't know what to say. 'sorry' felt too shallow, so I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed. Tears sat in my eyes blurring my vision. I buried my face in his arm and tried to stop the tears from flowing. 

"Don't tell anyone Mil," He said quietly. "please."

I nodded and quickly wiped my eyes and looked at his face. I offered him a pathetic smile and grabbed his hands.

"You're brave, and so strong no matter what anyone says. Don't forget."

He smiled and nodded.

"I'll try, you know how my memory is though."

I let out a laugh and hugged him one more time.

-

Draco's POV

"I haven't found anything either professor." I admitted to Umbridge.

She kept a smile on her face but her eyes looked angry. 

"We'll just have to take extra measures."

"What kind of extra measures?" Pansy asked.

"Students will be brought here for questioning. We'll get them to talk."

"Whatever it takes."

I smirked and looked at everyone else who all seemed content with that answer. 

You can't hide for much longer Potter. We'll find out what you're planning sooner or later.

After our meeting I went to Arithmancy. I wasn't looking forward to it like I usually did. I'd have to see Westworth and be reminded of everything I was trying to avoid. I sat down in my seat and pushed my hair out of my eyes. 

I didn't want to but I glanced over at her. She was sitting excitedly. Which was strange, she was usually moping. Probably my amazing teaching, she was finally understanding it. She still didn't have glasses. She probably couldn't afford them. 

She caught me looking and smiled before I could look away. I slouched in my chair and looked away. I rolled my eyes wanting the class to be over.

As soon as we were dismissed I got up and walked out. 

"Draco!"

Oh what now. I turned and watched Westworth run towards me. It took her awhile to catch up. 

Wait. Why would I let her catch up? I should just ignore her, I could get away quickly.

"What do you want?" I said walking a bit faster.

"I passed that exam with the highest score I've ever had in that class!"

When I didn't respond she tugged at my arm and I stopped abruptly which caused her to trip over herself and hold onto me. Out of sheer surprise I caught her and pulled her back up before she hit the ground. 

"Woo! That was fun!" She exclaimed patting my chest.

For the first time, we were the closest we'd ever been. I could see amber specks in her brown eyes. She blushed and stood up straight brushing off her robe. I stepped back quickly snapping out of whatever trance I was in.

"God, you're so clumsy." 

"I know, I'm sorry."

I shook my head.

"Whatever, you're welcome" I mumbled.

She smiled that big dopey smile and hurried off down the hall. 

She's pretty.

What? No. Stop.

You think she's pretty. And cute.

Yeah cute in a sad puppy kind of way.

I pity her, that's all.

I shook away my thoughts and went outside to get some fresh air.