Thirty One

His eyes darted away and he walked quickly down the isle and out of the door.

Don't follow him, don't follow him, don't follow him.

Spoiler alert: I followed him.

I got up and stretched. "I'm going to head to bed, big herbology test tomorrow."

"You're not going to find Malfoy are you?" Neville asked quietly. "Y-you know what his dad did right? You know he's bad news. D-don't get yourself into that Millie."

"I-I won't..."

Neville looked up at me with a small smile.

"Goodnight Millie."

I offered a smile back and nodded. "Night."

I walked out feeling a wave of guilt. What was I doing? This wasn't right. But then someone needs to be there for Malfoy too right? 

I walked in the direction I saw him go. There was no sign of him. He couldn't have gone that far could he? Soon I came up to two hallways each leading in different directions, I trusted my gut and went down the left one. There was only candlelight in the dim hallway. Shadows cast on the wall and I could make out a figure. I walked towards it slowly.

His eyes lifted up to mine and he looked at me with a puzzled and angry expression. He turned his face away and folded his arms.

 "Why are you here, leave me alone."  

"Why?"

"You're scared."

"I'm not scared."

"You should be."

"Why? Cause you're associated with death eaters? Are you a death eater? Are you Lord Voldemort? Have you come to kill us?"

"What? I-no I'm-"

"Then I have no reason to be afraid of you."

"You have no idea what you're saying."

"Then help me understand Draco."

His gritted his teeth."Go away." 

"Make me."

"You're fücking obnoxious."

He pushed off from against the wall and started walking away. I grabbed his arm and felt him tense up. He looked at me and grabbed my wrist pulling my hand off easily. His grip tightened.

"Ow that hurts." I said trying to squirm my arm free.

"I don't care about you. I never have. Just leave me alone. I'll keep hurting you as long as you chase me." 

"I'm trying to help you!"

"I don't need help! Especially not from you."

"Draco please stop this hurts." I said still trying to pull away. My eyes started to water.

"You're just weak."

I shook my head staring into his eyes. 

"I'm not. I am not weak."

He let go of my wrist. "Leave me alone."

He turned walking away. 

"I won't leave you alone because I care about you and you can't force me to stop caring."

"You'll stop caring, I promise." 

Draco's POV

Her cries of frustration carried through the hall as I walked away. I wanted to run away. Why is she so stupid?! Why is she so stubborn? Doesn't she see me for what I am like everyone else? She's playing with fire and it'll burn her. 

Holding her wrist was only a glimpse into the pain I would cause her. Not physically, but mentally and emotionally whatever. Nothing deters her, I can't get her to leave me alone. She's so annoyingly determined to dig into me. She won't find anything new. She's trying to fix a version of me in her head.

Am I really trying to protect this stupid mudblood from me? What the hell is going on? Why isn't she afraid? My father is... everyone knows and she... 

I have every reason to hate her so why is it hard? Why can't she just hate me like everyone else? Why did I kiss those filthy lips?  

"Draco just stay." Her voice called out.

I stopped but couldn't stand to look at her. Her doe-eyes shining from tears that I caused. Why wasn't that enough for her to run away and never look back?

A few students walked past us and I caught a glance of Westworth wiping her eyes and nose. The students looked back at me with judgement. They probably thought I hurt another Hufflepuff's feelings. I suppose I did, but they don't know that I'm trying to stop her from getting even more hurt. 

When they were gone she walked up to me and I let her. I couldn't get my ass to move and hide in the common room. 

"Please kiss me." She said squeezing her eyes shut.

I almost fainted.

"No."

"Please." She said moving even bloody closer.

"No!" I took a few steps back.

"Just one more time. Then please tell me what you feel." 

"No." 

I wasn't going to kiss her out in the open like this. I wasn't going to kiss her... At all.

"No I'm not going to-there's no words to describe how ridiculously stupid you are."

"Well there are no words for you either Draco Malfoy. You're too unexplainable."

"I'm going to kill you."

"Why haven't you already?"

"I hate you." 

Somehow she was closer to me again. She wrapped her stupid little hand around my neck and pulled me forward. Our lips touched and that was it. 
That small touch was all I needed to feel safe... what the hell did that mean?

"Well? W-what do you feel?" She asked.

Numb. I felt numb.

"Disgusted." 

She snorted a little like she could see right through me and let her hand fall back to her side. I realized that she was shaking. Maybe just as much as I was.

"I loathe you Malfoy."

"You're the actual scum of the earth Westworth."

"Well that makes you a bottom feeder."

"Uh what?"

"Sorry, nope no no... that was a bad joke I know, I'm stupid."

I rolled my eyes. 

Even just if it was for a little while when I was with her. The world where nothing was ok, was gone. Everything that was sitting on my chest was forgotten about. She was like getting wasted but without the hangover, just a desire to drink more. 

And I hated her for that. For making me care. For making me weak.

I couldn't do this. 

"Just leave me alone Puffer." I said walking away for the last time.

It was my final plea before I knew I would give in completely.

This story has gotten so many reads so quickly! TYSM<3

I love reading your comments!! They make my day! If you'd like to you can poke the star button 👉👈 but if not that's ok too :)

Thank you!! 🖤🍏