Fifty Nine

Seeing Draco again seemed like a dream. My heartbeat couldn't have been faster. We embraced and I couldn't help the tears that came flowing along with my annoying sobs.

He held me closer and tighter than he ever had. I missed his smell and his touch. We were both warm and dirty and sweaty, but I didn't care. I would hold him forever if I could.

"You're just as much of a mess as I left you." He said using his thumb to brush some dirt or blood off my cheek. I didn't know which. "And I missed you."

I smiled and pressed my lips against his in a longing kiss. Nothing else mattered in that moment. Just the warmth and butterflies I felt once again while kissing Draco Malfoy.

Then the fear crept in again.

"What's going to happen?"

"I don't have the answer to that.. He's weak, but he's not dead. Potter destroyed two horcruxes. He angrier than ever." He sighed. "I lost one of my best friends in a fire.."

"I'm sorry.." I whispered.

He shook his head looking like he wanted to say something but he stayed silent.

I hugged him again burying my face in his chest hearing his heart beating fast.

The war wasn't over.

He looked into my eyes and reached down to grab my wounded hand.

"You're bleeding."

I nodded.

"You need a bandage."

"Probably."

"Go to the great hall, then meet me in the Ravenclaw common room."

"Why won't you come with me?"

"I don't think people would appreciate seeing my face around here. It's best that I stay on the down low for now alright?"

"Right.. ok I understand. I'll meet you there."

He gave me another kiss before leaving the bathroom. And I made my way out and to the great hall to get my hand taken care of and to check on Jack and Maggie.

However, I was scared of what I would find.

Draco's POV

Amelia came into the room with a bandaged hand and a tear soaked face. She immediately broke down into sobs when she looked up at me.

"..So many people are dead..Fred Weasley he's-he's gone."

She started hyperventilating. I wrapped my arms around her frantic and shaking body.

"For gods sake Millie, breathe. Death was inevitable in this.. I've seen enough death to last a lifetime.. it's not easy."

After a few long cries she relaxed in my arms and let silent tears fall.

"Why.. why.."

I didn't really have an answer. Power? He wanted power but at what cost? Me, my family wanted power. But this- we never wanted it to come this far. At what point do we really win?

I had something much greater to care about than power. And she was in my arms right now. I needed to fight with them. But I needed to fight for my father and mother too.

"Do you have to go back..? To them?" She asked quietly.

"I..."

"Stay with us." A voice said from the doorway. "Fight with us."

We both turned to look at Maggie. Beside her stood the other Westworth and Longbottom. Amelia smiled and walked over to them. Another head popped out from behind the doorframe, the Lovegood creature.

I stayed in place not believing what I just heard. Amelia held her hand out for me and I walked slowly over to them and took her hand. I nodded and everyone acknowledged me.

I turned to the Lovegood girl and before I could say anything she just shrugged and looked down at her shoes.

"I know there wasn't much you could do.. it's ok." She said softly.

I'd been forgiven. I'd been forgiven and it made me realize I was forgiven for something I couldn't control. I was on the wrong side and I was stuck there. I thought permanently.

But maybe, things could change. Maybe I could win what I'd always subconsciously wanted without having it cost so much.

What did I want?

Power?

Forgiveness..?

Mercy?

No...

The thing that made Potter powerful. Maybe loyalty.. or love.

I felt Amelia's bandaged hand grab mine and I knew the answer then. I already had it.