Twenty

Maggie's legs were laying across Jack's. They were laughing about something. When they saw me they both jumped up. 

"Mils!" Maggie cried.

"Don't 'Mils' me. What's going on?"

Jack sighed and looked at me with a sorry expression. 

"How could you? What about Roslyn?"

Jack looked between me and Maggie and shook his head.

"That's not what it's like, we broke up."

"What? When?"

"About a week ago now..." 

"Oh..." I said quietly.

"She cheated on him Mils." Maggie added.

That little worm. I trusted Roslyn. 

I studied them both.

"So, what's going on here?" I said gesturing between them.

Jack scratched at his head and laughed. Maggie suddenly avoided eye contact. 

I huffed. "Mags, you never told me you had a crush on him."

"That's because it's embarrassing. And he's been with Roslyn for a year."

"Still... you could've told me." 

"And you. My best friend, really?" I said to Jack.

He smiled cheekily and shrugged. 

Their age difference wasn't crazy but it still felt uncomfortable to me. She was fifteen and he was just about to turn seventeen. Also. It was my brother and I did not want to hear her gush about him like that.Yuck!

"I... Well ok then guys." I said.

"You're not upset?" Jack asked.

"Not really, but how long were you planning on keeping this from me?" 

They both shrugged and mumbled incoherently. 

I groaned and turned to Maggie.

"What do you see in him?"

"Hey!" Jack exclaimed.

She blushed and took his hand in hers. He smiled and looked at her with as much love in his eyes as when he sees food. Even more than when he looked at Roslyn. I wanted to gag but it was also kind of sweet. 

It also made me feel extremely lonely. Sigh

"Mags um I need to talk to you alone."

She looked back at me and nodded.

"Of course." 

Jack gave her a goodnight kiss on the cheek and walked out of our common room. 

We walked into our dorm and I sat on my bed hugging my pillow anxiously. She sat across from me with worry on her face. It took me a while to actually start talking but she just waited patiently. 

"It's Draco..."

"I knew it." She announced. "Sorry, continue."

"Well first of all... I punched him."

She got up and started screeching like a banshee. 

"YOU DID NOT!"

"I did." I let out a small chuckle.

"But that's not what I wanted to tell you, can you please hold your reactions until the end?" I pleaded.

She closed her gaping mouth and sat down holding all of her excitement in. 

I took a deep breath and told her what happened in the hall with Snape and all.

"I believe that I can understand him, I want to get closer to him but he has such a hard shell I don't know if I can break it. But, I feel like I've cracked it a little you know? It's just he really is a jerkwad but I can't stop thinking about him... I shouldn't like him and I know that it's dumb but I can't turn it off."

"I think he has a soft spot for you Millie." Maggie smiled.

"What?" I asked caught off guard.

"Well for starters he only said you should get detention. For punching him! And he actually agreed to do many tutoring lessons for you. He held your hand-"

"He didn't hooold it, I don't think that was real. I think he was just playing me to get at Jack. Which he did and now he's done with me. I should be done with him but I'm not. I want to help him."

"Millie you can't fix everything, or everyone."

"I know! I know..."

"Malfoy's a lost cause just face it."

"I like him Maggie."

She shook her head at me disappointedly but gave me a small smile.

"Then we need a plan."

"A plan? A plan for what?"

"Plan 'Break Down Draco's Walls.'' "BDDW, if he opens up to you then maybe you will get rid of the bully everyone knows him to be." "We need to make him vulnerable, plus how could he not fall in love with you? You're amazing."

"Friends first Maggie. The goal isn't for him to fall in love with me, just to change." 

"Mhm sure Mils."

"It isn't! How could he like me anyway? He'd reject me, and can you imagine what his family would say if they knew he was dating a mudblood?" 

"We'll see."

"This is a ridiculous idea." I said shoving my face in my pillow.

"No it's not, trust me with this."

"So what's the first step?" I said muffled because of the pillow.

"We make him save you from death!"

"BestfriendMagdolyndatingmystinkybrother, say what?"

"Yeah, we get you into a situation that you can't possibly escape, ooh maybe in the forbidden forest! And then when you both save each other from death you'll both have gotten closer and things will start unraveling!"

"What kind of situation would that be?"

"I'll come up with something."

"I don't like the sound of that." I said warily.

She just grinned and patted my leg.

"Goodnight Millie."

"Goodnight Mags..."