Forty Two

I found Draco on the astronomy tower. He was holding onto the railing so hard that his knuckles were white. If tense was a human, it would be him.

"Talk to me." I said.

I must've startled him because he jolted slightly and turned his head to look back at me.

"I have to find a way to do this.. no matter what."

He turned back to look at the view.

"No.. there has to be another way-"

"There is no other way with.. Him!" He exclaimed. "Don't you know that? This is hopeless. And you shouldn't be apart of this because I have to do bad things. I can't change the way you want me to."

"I don't want you to change. I want you to be yourself. This task was unfair. He threatened you and you're stuck."

I walked up to him and placed a hand on his back. His hands started to ease the grip on the railing and he let his shoulders relax and his head hang low.

He looked at me and put his hand on my waist and pulled me close against him. He wrapped both of his arms around me and let out a heavy breath. I hugged him tightly taking in his familiar smell.

"You know, I never took you for a hugger." I teased.

"Only with you Westworth." He said.

"Aw." I pulled away. "Hey, we're gonna be late for potions."

He nodded and took my hand walking out and down the stairs. We made it just in time and took our seats trying not to draw attention to ourselves. Under the table, Draco's leg bounced anxiously.

I could feel Pansy's glare before I saw it. I gave her a half-hearted smile which made her furrow her eyebrows and her nose scrunch up. I placed a hand on Draco's thigh and tried to meet his eyes.

"Hey, everything's alright." I said quietly.

He looked at me and nodded.

"Just.. try and focus on your studies."

He nodded again and looked down at the desk. I sighed and watched as our new potions professor, Professor Slughorn, started the lesson.

-
We all stood around a few bubbling cauldrons and foaming vials. Our attention was drawn towards the door where Harry and Ron had walked in late. Per usual. 

Draco didn't even notice he was so deep into his thoughts. I nudged him.

"Slackers, am I right?" I said.

His eyes shifted over and he let out a breath crossing his arms over his chest. He was relaxing a little.

"Idiots, more like." He leaned towards my ear. "How much perfume are you wearing?"

"Huh?"

He took a sniff and looked towards one of the steaming cauldrons. I moved towards it and was immediately hit with the smell of sweet mint and some kind of fruity smell.

It was like a drug, and it was confirmed to be what I thought it was when Hermione explained it. Amortentia, the most powerful love potion like ever.

I took my glasses off to clean them because they fogged up. A small smile appeared on Draco's face and I nudged his arm.

"What do you smell?"