Forty

Draco's POV

I know Potter was watching me. Listening. I decided against confronting him. I don't know why, maybe Amelia had softened me too much. Ugh.

I told everyone to go ahead and looked around for Westworth. When I spotted her I caught her eyes and tried to give her a look that said to stay. She said something to her brother and friends and they went on.

Once she was close, her familiar scent overwhelmed me. I couldn't stand pushing her away, but there wasn't much else I could do to protect her.

"Making me miss the carriages Malfoy?" She asked.

The hint of teasing in her voice made me relax a little bit, but things still felt tense.

I nodded and let my hands fall into my pockets. She pulled a suitcase along and we walked the rest of the way to the dreadful school.

"How's your arm?" She asked. She sounded timid and looked timid once I turned to look at her. Her eyes scanned my face worriedly like I was some kind of wounded animal.

"It's fine." I replied.

She let out a breath of air and I felt bad that I didn't have anything better to say to her. What was I doing?

"That's good." She said.

The gravel under our feet crunched loudly in the awkward silence. She bumped into me a few times followed by little apologies. It was annoying but she was cute.

"Do you not know how to walk straight?" I asked.

"I guess I'm a little disoriented for some reason.. sorry."

"Here." I said offering my arm to her.

She looked at me like I'd just given her a puppy. She wrapped her small hands around my arm and walked besides me happily. Why was she so joyful all the time?

I smiled a little and walked with her. This couldn't last long.

It couldn't last long but why? Were these stupid peers really stopping us? Right now I mean. It couldn't last long for other reasons, but right now, what's stopping us?

I stopped just before we reached the front gate. Amelia looked at me and took her hands from my arm. She smoothed out her shirt and crossed her arms across her chest.

"You can go in first." She said.

"No.."

"Ok, then I'll go." She said taking a few steps ahead.

"Stop." I said a little more demanding than I meant to.

I stepped forward holding my breath and let my hand fall to my side.

"Take my hand."

Amelia's POV

I stared at his hand and then looked up to his face. He was serious. Completely stupidly serious.

"What?" I asked glancing in both directions.

"But what about-"

"I don't care." He snapped.

He looked down, his expression softening. He lifted his hand a bit more towards me and I was back to staring at his palm.

"I don't care about them anymore Amelia.."

My heart sped up and I clasped my hand in his interlocking our fingers. His eyes shifted back up to mine and I smiled.

He smiled back and tightened his grip on my hand. We walked forward into the large crowded entryway.

At first no one noticed, and I wished it stayed that way. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I started to feel light headed. I let it out and looked up at Draco who looked just as concerned as I felt. I squeezed his hand and he looked at me.

"We've got each other, right?" I said.

He nodded and I felt his thumb stroke my skin.

"Right." He replied half-heartedly.

I looked back out into the horde of students and all eyes were on us. It had quieted immensely and hushed whispers spread through the hall.

The first face I recognized was Neville's. His eyes looked to our hands and he looked at me. I couldn't look at him for long, otherwise I might've had a mental breakdown. I was already on the verge of pulling a Harry and blacking out.

And for Pansy, and the rest of Draco's acquaintances, their jaws were almost to the floor. Hermione looked like she'd seen a ghost. Weasley looked offended, Harry looked downright confused, and the only one smiling was Luna Lovegood.

Everyone else just stared.

They all knew my status. Being muggle-born and all. And of course they all knew Draco's. On top of that, I was a Hufflepuff, the house that Draco liked to pick on the most. Well.. everyone liked to pick on the most.

"Get to the great hall students, then get settled and to bed." McGonagall said ushering us along.

"What are we all gathered around for? We can mingle in the great hall." She said looking around at the gawking students.

Her eyes found us and looked down to our hands. Her eyes widened and she sputtered.

I smiled awkwardly and we stood at the entrance to the great hall. Eyes were still glued to us.

"I think I lost my appetite.." Draco said.

I nodded. "Me too."

The face I was most dreading to see looked up from a crowded table. Maggie sat beside him with a look of shock and excitement on her face. She looked at Jack worriedly though.

He was absolutely furious.